Please Help! CC 212 no sound

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Kcmohr

Please Help! CC 212 no sound

Post by Kcmohr » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:38 pm

I have a Classic Chorus 212 (scorpion equipped) which produces no sound no matter which input or channel is used. I get a slight output if the supersat & post is maxed out. also if I loop a cord from the send and return inputs everything is fine. I pulled the pcb and didn't see anything that needed to be re-soldered, no caps blown or any signs of anything else getting hot or burnt. I'm not schooled in electronics but I can replace components if I know which ones are the problem. any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. feel free to email me . thank you in advance

Pappy B

Re: Please Help! CC 212 no sound

Post by Pappy B » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:04 am

If the patch cord from sen to return works it sounds like you found the problem. The Jacks need cleaned. The power amp in jack has a switch built into it. Pull the chassis and clean the jacks with a spray contact cleaner like Deoxit Be careful not to damage the switch contacts.

You might get away without pulling the chassis by spraying through the holes in the jacks but it is easier (for me) to do it with the chassis pulled.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

Kcmohr

Post by Kcmohr » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:31 pm

Thanks for your input, your recommendation seems to have remedied my situation. I had tried this procedure previously, apparently I didn't do a good enough job. thanks again for your help.

on another topic where can I buy replacement pots? I need to replace the reverb pot.

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:50 am

At the top of the amplifier topics page is "Need Parts?" by Roger Crimm. Check it out.

ZombieWolfe

Post by ZombieWolfe » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:37 pm

Little late to this thread. I have a similar issue with my CC teal. Neither high nor low gain inputs work. In my case I bumped the amp and knocked it over onto its face. There wasn't a cord in the jacks but they didn't work after that and the knobs weren't scratched so it doesn't appear they took a direct hit. I've taken the board out, cleaned the jacks with Deoxit and inspected the connections. They seem ok. I can still play through the effects return jack with my effects processor but that of course bypasses a lot of features on the amp that I'd like to use. As far as the input jacks are concerned they're just a mechanical switch, right? So if the contacts are making good contact with the cord plug and the solder connections are good there's nothing else, I think. What else down stream from the jacks could be damaged by the impact of the fall that would affect only the inputs?
I can always replace the jacks but don't want to if there's somewhere else I can easily check.
Phew, out of breath. Anyway, love the amp for all of the reasons mentioned by others and am hoping to get it back to health maybe with a little help from others.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:27 pm

Imagine your house has a garage out back where you practice. You walk in the front door, through the house, out the back door and into the garage. From the garage you call a friend and ask him to come over to jam. You know the garage door works because you walked in yourself. But you see your pal walk in your front door but never comes out the back. You check that the front door works, you prop the back door open. Something inside has kept him. Maybe he fainted in the hall way, maybe the TV was on and caught his attention. Maybe a phone call, Or bathroom. What am I babbling about? Beats me, I am old. But I draw a parallel to your amp. The entire preamp is between that input jack and the FX loop jacks. All the volume and tone controls, gain stages, all the features you said you'd miss. ANy of that stuff can be stopping the signal from getting through.

When an amp falls, it sends a strong shock throughout the thing. Parts can shear off the board. wires can break off.

ZombieWolfe

Post by ZombieWolfe » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:37 am

Enzo, thanks for that colorful reply.
I understand what you are saying about the pre-amp section. I've visually inspected the board and everything appeared okay. I realize there could be internal damage to some components that wouldn't be seen with the naked eye or even with a mag glass. I'm no electronic tech so I can't do the necessary troubleshooting a tech can but Im just wondering if anyone else has a similar problem and whether they where able to resolve it on their own without taking it into a shop.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:53 pm

I get what you want. Problem is that the issue is just no sound coming through the preamp. That really isn't specific enough. Iknow it is how you look at it, but there are just so many ways the signal path through there can be interrupted. Imagine 20 pedals on a pedal board all plugged one into th next and then to the amp. If you get no sound through that, it could be any one of the 20 that has the issue, or in fact they might be all OK but the connections between a couple of them failed. Your preamp is several stages - sections of circuit - linked one after another. SO it is the same deal.

I ran one of those shops for decades. TO me I don't hear of a problem, especially one like this, and think I wonder if someone else face a no-sound, hoping the exact same failure would be on mine. We apply systematic troubleshooting to it to isolate the problem. Once we know exactly WHRRE the problem is we can effect repairs. It isn't always bad parts. It can be failed solder or broken off wires, dirty jack contacts, and like that.

Visual inspection is important, surely if a part burnt up we need to address that. But the vast majority of failed parts look no different from good ones.

GO back to my pedal board. I plug my guitar straight into the amp and it works. And I similarly test both the guitar/board cord and the board/amp cord. All those OK? then it must be on the pedal board. At that point I can either connect just one pedal at a time between guitar and amp, or I can remove one pedal at a time from the lineup. That might take time but would determine the fault. Once I know the bad pedal, then we fix it. Might be something you could do or might be beyond your skill, but you got that close anyway. We do the same thing inside an amp really. I don't really know how to help you. You need to recognize the parts inside. DO you know resistor from capacitor from a diode etc? CAn you solder?

ZombieWolfe

Post by ZombieWolfe » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:19 pm

Hi Enzo, yes, I visually and functionally know the difference between the components you mentioned and I can desolder/solder. I also have a schematic for the system although I don't think it gets into specifics of those components like resistor values, etc. I guess I'll just poke around a bit more and see what happens. At least I can still use it through the EFX return. Thanks for your input.
Bob

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:16 pm

I have never seen a Peavey schematic that lacked resistor values.

Unless you are confusing the block diagram in the owner manual for a schematic. Here is the schematic for the original model ( they updated the modal a year or two later)
Attachments
PV Classic Chorus 212 '89.pdf
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 374 times

ZombieWolfe

Post by ZombieWolfe » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:33 pm

Thanks. Will have a look tomorrow.

ZombieWolfe

Post by ZombieWolfe » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:46 am

Well, it's been almost two years and I finally located the issue with my CC 212. No, it didn't take two years to find it :lol: . I was building a house and the amp was sitting idle. Just got back into it a couple weeks ago and traced the issue to the effects return jack. Seems that when the amp was knocked over that jack hit something on the floor before anything else on the panel. When I pulled the board this time I could see the jack contacts were slightly pulled back on the board. I missed it the first time I looked. Removed the jack, soldered in new one and presto!
Thanks again, Enzo for the schematic.

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:51 pm

Sadly Enzon is no longer with us but I'm sure he would have been pleased that another problem was solved.

Thanks for letting us know how this turned out. It may help someone else latter on. Seems like many poster's never give a followup on an issue.

ZombieWolfe

Post by ZombieWolfe » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Did he just leave the forum or pass away?
Edit. Just noticed another thread saying he passed in 2022.
I'm a newbie here but have searched through a lot of posts and his name, expertise and respect from members is found regularly.
RIP Enzo