Peavey Rage 258 Aux Input/Direct Output

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Neo Fender

Peavey Rage 258 Aux Input/Direct Output

Post by Neo Fender » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:34 pm

I'm not getting the function of this jack:

https://peavey.com/rage-258-guitar-combo-amp/p/00583600

https://peavey.com/ItemFiles/Manual/116533_6710.pdf:

Page 21

AUX INPUT/DIRECT OUTPUT
The AUX INPUT can be used to route the headphone out signal of a CD player, tape
player, etc. into your Rage amplifier. Connect the CD or tape headphone output using
a shielded cable to the AUX INPUT jack. This jack can also serve as a low-level direct out
for recording devices. This signal is mixed with the guitar signal but is not affected by the EQ.

Is it an input or an output? The description above reads contradictory. I see no switch that controls its function. What kind of electronic sorcery is at play here?

Thanks.

JamesPaul

Re: Peavey Rage 258 Aux Input/Direct Output

Post by JamesPaul » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:04 pm

It is both input and output. The Rockman used the same approach back in the '80s. It saves space on the panel by sharing the jack.

The jack is connected at a point in the circuit where if you input a signal (CD, tape, etc.) the signal is summed/added to the guitar signal going into the power amp. So, you can play along with the CD. However if you plug in headphones, a recording device, etc. in, the signal from the guitar is picked up by the headphones.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

Neo Fender

Post by Neo Fender » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:23 am

Interesting. Thanks.

encreed

Post by encreed » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:10 am

I'm going to a genuinely good size guitar shop in the following a few days and I truly need a nice practice amp.

I've just got a 100W Fender FM212r and it's a b*tch to move around. I've likewise got a small 15W practice amp that you get in those starter units with the guitar and it seems like trash.

I'm glancing through their site and I discovered a Peavey Rage 258 (which is a 25W model of an amp two of my companions have. I've never had any grumblings with it's sound) for $250 Australian, sliced down from $279

I likewise discovered a Roland Cube 30X for $250, cut down from $400 I've never had any involvement in Roland amps, not to mention this one specifically.

The two amps cost something similar, however which is better? I'll be running a 7 string through it if that makes a difference.

I needn't bother with a stunning amp, simply a superior amp to take when I need to practice or stick (despite the fact that I typically take my 100W for that)

I'm at my Dad's right now, and I can't bring the 100W down here so I get stuck bringing the 15W poo thing I have right now. I need to improve amp.

I'll play metal/center only yet I likewise need great lucidity cleans. A large portion of my tones come from my belongings, however I need a superior amp to work with them.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:27 pm

Better is in the ear of the player.

Which is better? A nice Lambic beer or a tripel bock? All depends upon your taste preference. Best thing you can do is play through various amps to see how you like them.