Help with Peavey Vypyr VIP-2 - Power supply issue (?)

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
chryslop

Help with Peavey Vypyr VIP-2 - Power supply issue (?)

Post by chryslop » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:04 pm

Hi all,

I've owned a Peavey Vypyr VIP-2 for close to a year and a half, and have had absolutely no issues with it up until now. A few days ago I plugged it in and turned on the power switch and it was working fine for a few minutes until it seemed to lose all power and started to produce this weird sort of rhythmic popping sound. It would work for short periods and then cut out, but the more I tried to remedy it the less functional it'd get, to the point where when I try turning it on now it will just completely fail to show any signs of life, and will start that slow popping sound after a few seconds (and the sound will even continue after I turn off the power switch). Does anyone here have any idea what's going on with it? I'm not very savvy with electronics but I'm assuming it has something to do with the power supply, but it sucks because I never really left it on for long periods of time and have used it fairly lightly since I bought it. The receipt and packaging are unfortunately long gone at this point, so any suggestions as to a possible fix/course of action that isn't just throwing it out and buying a new one would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

rogue777

Re: Help with Peavey Vypyr VIP-2 - Power supply issue (?)

Post by rogue777 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:15 pm

Does a factory reset help? See additional info under the vypyr forum.
Could be a pwr supply issue or something else.

I'd work with Peavey customer support. I'd like to think there are procedures for product support.
You've had the amp for a year and a half. The warranty is good for two years. Its under warranty.
Don't you have a record of the purchace? Its a warranty repair.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Having said that, here are the schematics. You’ve got to remember the firmware has a part in the operation. There are three pwr supplies +8 and +/- 19V on the pwr supply bd, and other stuff, regulators on other bds. You got to have some electronics savvy for effective troubleshooting. Verifying the pwr supplies is a great way to start troubleshooting.

http://zorkmids.com/?p=384

WrldEatr9

Re: Help with Peavey Vypyr VIP-2 - Power supply issue (?)

Post by WrldEatr9 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:58 pm

First, I'd check the speaker wires to make sure they are attached properly. Also turn that post-gain knob back and forth, those are notoriously unreliable.

Then you can try a factory reset. "The proper technique is to hold the button (or pair of buttons), turn on the power, and continue to hold the button combination until the startup function has begun (usually 4 or 5 seconds is sufficient). The following front panel button combinations can be used during power-up on VIP1 and VIP2:
Button A and B perform factory reset"

Finally, disconnect the power cable and open the thing up. There's a fuse on the yellow power supply board. Check if it's OK. Also make sure all ribbon cables are properly attached and that the speakers wires aren't loose on the output board. See if there are any signs of something having burnt.

Beyond that contact Peavey to have them take a look at it. Or some local electronics place.