Peavey Bravo output transformer

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Mike_EH

Peavey Bravo output transformer

Post by Mike_EH » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:49 pm

I have a Peavey Bravo and a collection of vintage Celestion and Fane speakers. I'm not really impressed with the stock speaker and would like to replace it with one of my vintage collection. Problem is, all my speakers are 16Ω and the Bravo outputs are 4Ω and 8Ω. I want to replace the output transformer with one that also has a 16Ω output but I need to find the primary impedance of the stock transformer to enable me to select a suitable replacement. I've tried emailing Peavey for the transformer (Part No.70500182) specs but have received no reply. Does anyone know the primary impedance of the stock transformer? Thanks.

Enzo

Re: Peavey Bravo output transformer

Post by Enzo » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:48 pm

It won't hurt the amp to connect a 16 ohm speaker to the 8 ohm tap. Try it.

I don't know what the primary impedance is, but I do know the output stage is one pair of EL84. Why not look for other output transformers intended for amps with a single pair of EL84s? Like a Peavey Classic 20. Or some such.

Mike_EH

Re: Peavey Bravo output transformer

Post by Mike_EH » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:08 pm

Thanks for advice.
I prefer not to mis-match the output impedance on a tube amp as there will be a loss of volume and tone and even the possibility of transformer or tube damage - check out "Inside Tube Amps" by Dan Torres.
I'll check out other transformers but I really want to get away from a Peavey transformer as I've had 2 failures on Classic 50W combos over the years.