Bandit 65 assembly query

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
garygillyett

Bandit 65 assembly query

Post by garygillyett » Thu May 13, 2021 4:02 am

Hi, hoping that someone can shed some light on a recent query.

I have just purchased a 1986 (86B) Peavey Bandit 65, which I absolutely love. It's in great condition for a 35yr old amp, & it adds to my collection of 'Renown' & 'Heritage' combos for the same era, of which I use on a regular basis.

When I examined the date plate on the back of the Bandit, it says 'Assembled In UK'. According to a few forums that I've checked, the 'Bandit 65' was produced between 1983-1986 in Meridian, USA & there is no mention of a UK Assembled model.
I also found for sale another UK Bandit 65 apparently made the same year (86B), but then also found one dated '87B' but made in the USA!

My questions are,
a) If my 'Bandit 65' was assembled in the UK, are there any major differences in components used compared to the USA model?
b) How come there is an '87B' model (after my UK model) but made in the USA, when they were supposedly only made up to 1986 anyway?

Any help would be much appreciated.

JamesPaul

Re: Bandit 65 assembly query

Post by JamesPaul » Wed May 19, 2021 7:51 am

Welcome to the forum.

I do not have any Bandit 65 specifics for you. You can try calling Peavey in June and ask them for the schematic if you truly need to know any major differences. If they still are not staffed up to answer calls, just keep trying.

A general answer to a) is, if there are any major differences it is usually the power transformers, power circuits and speakers. There may be some component differences, for example tubes, but those should be functionally equivalent like 12AX7's and ECC83's.

You might try reviewing this History and Timeline of the Peavey Bandit topic.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.