Transformer 112 dead, "Pre Gain" lit up

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
scottberggren

Transformer 112 dead, "Pre Gain" lit up

Post by scottberggren » Mon May 10, 2021 2:53 pm

I've got a Transformer 112 that is just humming. When I turn it on it has a soft hum and the red lights around the "Pre Gain" are lit up, no sound when I plug in a guitar. First I tried doing a reset by holding down the "store" and "user" buttons at startup. When I do that it goes back to looking like normal with the lights around each knob but only short sputters of sound come out occasionally. As soon as I adjust a knob (after a reset) it goes back to having the red lights around the Pre Gain light up and no sound other than the hum. Nothing else is plugged into the amp, just the power cord and a guitar. I've tried both the Low and High gain jacks but both act the same. The speaker is fine, not blown.

I assume this is a software thing? I opened it up but didn't see anything obvious wrong. Any help is appreciated.

Enzo

Re: Transformer 112 dead, "Pre Gain" lit up

Post by Enzo » Mon May 10, 2021 5:50 pm

Could be many things, but sounds more like a power supply problem to me.

First, ball up your fist and whack the top of the amp hard. Does it react at all? This exposes loose connections. And that includes things like cracked solder on voltage regulators.