Backstage 110

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
JudgeShredd

Backstage 110

Post by JudgeShredd » Sat May 01, 2021 11:00 am

Oops I did it again! Love Peavey. USA. Bulletproof Battleships. Or so I thought. Just had to have this little Backstage 110 (used), cuz it is a rare model, and has the analog reverb tank, 65W RMS, and has new footswitch, which I figured is worth about what I paid for the whole unit at $65 + gas money.
Learning AGAIN, when u buy the lesser known/bought/OLD product, not much can be found out about it, and when it goes Bang in the Night, you're kinda on your own. So I researched this site, can't find much but years old posts with no responses. So yeah, lets try doing the same thing over and expect a different result. I know: WAh wah wah
Backstage 110 with 65W RMS, probably main reason I wanted it over the lower wattage backstage 30 etc. And yes, it is ridiculously loud for a single 10".
I can't play it much higher than a 1 on the volume without discomfort. I guess that should be the first question: 1) Does this in itself indicate an electronic problem? 2) It's been running hot, shutting down on temp. When I activate reverb, it starts ok, then starts an increasing feedback type hum until I switch reverb off. I pulled the panel out and found a (one of only two larger) resistor with a hot spot showing on the board. I would love to replace that resistor immediately even though in my wildest dreams I'm sure it's not all that's wrong. Problem is, the values are pretty scorched off, so I need a schematic. 3) I have contacted customer support for a schematic, with no results. Did I send to the right email? Did they not reply because they can't help me? I read on here that they respond promptly? I will try again after posting this. I know, I can take it to Empirical Sound here in Cleveland, but if I'm dumping money into old technology, I think I'd rather just buy a new modeling amp for around $350. Anyone please comment on 1), 2), 3)

Pappy B

Re: Backstage 110

Post by Pappy B » Fri May 07, 2021 10:15 am

You should be able to play it at a whisper. Have you done any maintenance on it? Remove the chassis. Using Deoxit or similar contact spray clean all the pots, switches, jacks and connections. Even if it doesn't fix the problem it should be done periodically and makes trouble shooting a little easier when all the controls work properly. There are lot of youtube videos on this subject.

As far as the technology, its proven, durable and easy to work on. Sometimes they may need a part or 2 but there are a lot of Peavey amps still playing that have outlived their owners.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

Tracyohus

Post by Tracyohus » Sun May 09, 2021 9:52 pm

I just picked up one of these myself. The last time I needed info to repair a used Peavey amp I bought I contacted Peavey and gave them the serial number and asked for the service manual. I did the same thing this time. I searched high and low through all corners of the internet for the Backstage 110 service manual on-line and found nothing. It looks like the Studio Pro 110 is the same chassis so I searched for that and still came up empty handed. I am sure someone from Peavey will respond to my request. I am giving them reasonable time to respond cause of Covid.

With that said, there are some things I expect to need to do anytime I bring in an amp this old. The main thing is to replace the electrolytic caps for the power supply. I do not plan to even try to turn it on in my home until the new caps arrive and I get them in. Then I will test the amp out thoroughly. The jacks are another thing that nearly always needs attention. Particularly the jacks for the effects loop. Some times you can clean and deoxidize them and they will work good as new and other times you just need to replace them. And of course clean the pots out with DeoxIT D5 then re-lubricate them with F5.

Tracyohus

Post by Tracyohus » Sat May 15, 2021 10:15 pm

JudgeShred, I posted a request for the schematic in a FB forum and one of the members had it. The quality isn't very good but I was able to get the information I needed. If you inbox me with your email address I will forward the schematic to you.

JudgeShredd

Post by JudgeShredd » Fri May 21, 2021 3:24 pm

Hey thanks Tracyohus, PM sent. I (tried to) started a new thread before i saw your response. Anyone who has the 110 and willing to open it up, I would appreciate the values of the only 2 larger (5w or 10w?) resistors on the board, and that would be another way to get me started. Related: Which caps are on the power supply? I see the 2 large 2200mf on the board, physically ahead of the 2 large heat sinked power-transistors? if that's what they are. The ones on the heat sink plate with what I think is the "clix-on" safety shut-off. I'll try to post a pic from my phone. -TIA!

JudgeShredd

Post by JudgeShredd » Sun May 23, 2021 3:15 pm

Tracyohus, thanks for forwarding, but the schematics are too blurry. Magnification actually made it worse! Possibly the resolution was worsened in transfer. One positive is that we have proof that a schem actually exists. I will try to post a pic of the board location, maybe you can pull a value off your copy. Or might you remember the FB page you got it from?-tx BTW have you gotten your 110 to operate? Curious if the volume is excruciating above level 2, and if the reverb sets up feedback like mine does.--tx

JudgeShredd

Post by JudgeShredd » Sun May 23, 2021 6:53 pm

Let's beat this horse a little more. The specs for these backstage amps vary I think enough to warrant some discussion to enhance my, and I'm sure other readers, understanding of what to look for and expect from a guitar amp. Price point is an obvious reason for lesser or better specs/performance, but I see the BS110 (65WRMS into 8 Ohm) specs at 20hz-10khz @ 50WRMS @ 8 Ohms. Meanwhile the Bandit 65 (65WRMS into 8 Ohm) specs at 60hz-20khz @ 50WRMS @ 8 ohms. Then we have the BS50 (50WRMS into 8 ohm) specs at 60hz-20khz @ 45WRMS @ 8 ohm. Lastly, for reference, see the Bandit 75 (75WRMS into 8ohm) specs at 20hz-20khz @ 65WRMS @ 8 ohms.
So why the different hz specs, from the BS110 with 20hz to 10khz, thru the Bandit 75 with 20hz-20khz, the latter range supposedly the range of human hearing. And typically the range used when rating home stereos. A google search says Elec Guitar range is 80-1200 hz. Of course, there are other instruments, which will go higher, including acoustic guitars. So what do the Amp HZ ratings mean related to the amps quality? Or are the ratings "cooked" to show acceptable %THD specs(common with home audio and boom boxes), while the amp/speaker actually reproduces sound above and below spec? Maybe the Bandit 75 is made for keyboards etc, therefor the 20-20 rating? Anyway, that 10 khz upper rating on the BS110 makes me think it's a POS, but I hope I'm wrong. GTG TTYL

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Mon May 24, 2021 11:27 pm

That high end spec has nothing to do with quality. And this is a guitar amp. Your see very little signal over above 3kHz. Guitar speakers generally roll off above that as well. SO it matters little if your amp goes up to 10k or 20k. As to acoustic guitar, they make "Acoustic amps" for them, Guitar amps are not made for acoustics. Acoustic amps are really small PA systems. They often have tweeters, guitar amps have no tweeters.

The designs may be related, but each is individual. I would suspect they did not set out to design an amp flat up to some particular freq, but rather they designed the amp to do the job and then measured its performance. PLus there is a limit to how low that little speaker will go, so a 20Hz bottom means nothing, the speaker won't make 20Hz. These are all guitar amps. Peavey does make a variety of keyboard amps too. But those have different preamp sections.

The ranges are often spec'd at the 3db down points at either end, so one rated down to 60Hz still produces sound below 60Hz, but it rolls off. Same idea at the high end. And in a given amp, the speaker makes a huge difference.

Tracyohus

Post by Tracyohus » Tue May 25, 2021 8:01 pm

JudgeShred, Yes I after replacing the filter caps I felt it was safe to operate it. I do not have that volume issue that you have and my amp sounds great. This is a crazy loud little 1x10 - but I can tame down the volume. I suspect you might have a bad volume pot or cracked solder joints for the volume pot. It is very common for circuit board based amps to develop cracked solder joints for the jacks and controls.

I sent you the list of the parts I got from Mouser for mine which included the value of that resistor. I could not read it from the schematic either but the nice fella who sent me the schematic gave me the value.

Concerning your other questions... To me if it sounds good it's good. And this little amp definitely sounds good.

Anyways, after I was sure everything was going to be okay and reliable with my Backstage 110 I made some changes. I replaced the 4558's in U4 and U3 with newer (and quieter) 4580s to lower the noise floor a bit. I also replaced the 4558 in the U1 position with an OPA2134 because that opamp just sounds so dang good as a guitar pre-amp. I left the 4558 in the U2 position in there because that is the Supersat part of the circuit and it it sounds as is. Doing those things took my Backstage 110 from sounding great to sounding even better. I would venture to say mine sounds outstanding to me. It sounds great with humbuckers, single coils, P90s, mini-humbuckers and an Epi LP Special I have loaded with Johnny Winters Firebird pickups. I am very pleased with the amp. I don't have more than a C note into it and I would not feel any shame at all to gig with it.

badspot2respawn

Post by badspot2respawn » Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:27 am

Tracyohus wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:01 pm

I sent you the list of the parts I got from Mouser for mine which included the value of that resistor. I could not read it from the schematic either but the nice fella who sent me the schematic gave me the value.

Concerning your other questions... To me if it sounds good it's good. And this little amp definitely sounds good.

Anyways, after I was sure everything was going to be okay and reliable with my Backstage 110 I made some changes. I replaced the 4558's in U4 and U3 with newer (and quieter) 4580s to lower the noise floor a bit. I also replaced the 4558 in the U1 position with an OPA2134 because that opamp just sounds so dang good as a guitar pre-amp. I left the 4558 in the U2 position in there because that is the Supersat part of the circuit and it it sounds as is.
Any chance I can get this info? My backstage 110 died when I turned it on yesterday morning, but I took it apart and it looks like only 1 thing burned out so it should be an easy fix if I can find the parts I need. Thank you in advance! :)