Valve king II 20 combo clean channel distorted

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
skint

Valve king II 20 combo clean channel distorted

Post by skint » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:27 pm

Hi guys

Just bought a valve king II 20 combo in second hand. It was selling has broken. The clean channel is distorted, but not a good distorsion, looks unbiased and broken sounded. The lead channel looks good but sometimes doesnt, i think its because of the lead channel distorsion. Just changed all the tubes with new ones and the problem is still there. Using another amp, connect the effects loop send to it and everything sounds good, connecting the guitar to the return the problem comeback. Also connected the effect loop with a patch cable, no diference. I have a multimeter and a scope (cheap chinese one) but i dont know what to do first. Any of you had this problem? Any thoughs?

Thanks

skint

Re: Valve king II 20 combo clean channel distorted

Post by skint » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:50 am

No one? Not even Peavey?

JamesPaul

Re: Valve king II 20 combo clean channel distorted

Post by JamesPaul » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:05 pm

skint wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:27 pm
Hi guys

Just bought a valve king II 20 combo in second hand. It was selling has broken. The clean channel is distorted, but not a good distorsion, looks unbiased and broken sounded. The lead channel looks good but sometimes doesnt, i think its because of the lead channel distorsion. Just changed all the tubes with new ones and the problem is still there. Using another amp, connect the effects loop send to it and everything sounds good, connecting the guitar to the return the problem comeback. Also connected the effect loop with a patch cable, no diference. I have a multimeter and a scope (cheap chinese one) but i dont know what to do first. Any of you had this problem? Any thoughs?

Thanks
I have not experienced this problem in either my 20MH or my 20 Combo. From the troubleshooting you have already completed, the problem is somewhere between the effects loop return and the speaker.

If I'm reading your description correctly the amp was sold to you as broken. Did the previous owner experience this same distorted sound?

Are the T.S.I. LEDs green? Do they change to red, or flicker, when the distorted sound occurs?

Does the distorted sound change if you activate the reverb and turn the Reverb control?

Does the distorted sound change if you turn the Vari-Class control?

Do you have the schematic?
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.