Amp issue after a long break

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
bubba133385

Amp issue after a long break

Post by bubba133385 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:45 pm

I have decided to come back to playing after a long 12 year break. I cleaned of my amp, cleared out all the dust, powered her up and getting some not so wonderful sounds.

I have a Peavey Tripple X head and cab. The link below is a video of the sounds it is making with nothing attached to it. just a line to the cab with master volume to about half. The point of posting here it to figure out if possibly the tubes or amp is bad after sitting for 12 years ( in my apartment so a climate controlled environment).

One other factor, is that I live in a 19 story apartment building on the top floor. The room next to me is filled with electrical equipment as well as the roof has cell towers installed on it. I went out and bought a power conditioner hoping that would help, but I am fearful that because of my close location to a lot of heavy duty electrical/ cell equipment, this might be my issue.

I plan on trying to plug it in and power it up elsewhere, its just a pain to move my cab to try this and I dont know many people around that would have a cab I could plug it into. Any thoughts?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ILy1bQ ... sp=sharing

Pappy B

Re: Amp issue after a long break

Post by Pappy B » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:40 pm

Have you used contact cleaner to clean the pots, jacks, connectors and such?

Capacitor need to be energized periodically to stay healthy. After 12 years you may have one or more that is not working correctly. However, the are self healing to some degree and sometimes will heal themselves after being put back into use for 30 minutes or so. If you don't think it is in danger of damaging something, play it a couple of times a day for several days and see if it gets better.

As you explained the environment it's in, it may be a little hard to sort out the source of the problem. But the cleaning of the pots, jacks switches is good maintenance to do every so often.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.