Classic 20 combo in the house

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
faraldi

Classic 20 combo in the house

Post by faraldi » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:33 pm

Hey guys. Very long time.

So I found a C20 combo on the local marketplace and grabbed it for a fantastic price. Got it home and my goodness this amp rips.

So, of course I want to change stuff a little. Mostly, I'd like to eek out a little more cleans.

5751 in V1?
JOFABOARDS Custom Pedalboards and Speaker Cabinets
www.jofaboards.com

JamesPaul

Re: Classic 20 combo in the house

Post by JamesPaul » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:37 pm

I have two of them.

One is all JJ's. The other is the ends from Cincy's set (Tung Sol in V1, Sovtek LPS in V2) in the preamp and JJ's in the power section.

The 5751 in V1 will be a safe bet for you!

Please post back and let us know what you think of it.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

NOWITSFORENGLAND2014

Post by NOWITSFORENGLAND2014 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:01 am

Hi I have a peavey guitar amp model 212 serial number 9a-408599 ive owned it from the early 80s,, its not been used for years and needs new valves etc apart from surface rust on the crome bits it has no damage and also has the original foot pedal ,,any idea of the value of this ,, or where i could take it for repair , i live in Birmingham England

faraldi

Post by faraldi » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:11 pm

JamesPaul wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:37 pm
I have two of them.

One is all JJ's. The other is the ends from Cincy's set (Tung Sol in V1, Sovtek LPS in V2) in the preamp and JJ's in the power section.

That's awesome. So can you tell me the differences in tone and gain between the two?
JOFABOARDS Custom Pedalboards and Speaker Cabinets
www.jofaboards.com

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:29 am

faraldi wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:11 pm
JamesPaul wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:37 pm
I have two of them.

That's awesome. So can you tell me the differences in tone and gain between the two?
It's really more of a tone difference than gain.

The Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1 has a clean tone that sounds bigger, more full and smoother than the JJ ECC83's. If I want my best clean tone, I go with the Tung Sol C20.

For distortion, the JJ's have a more aggressive, buzzy and asymmetric distorted tone. The Tung Sol has a smoother more symmetric distorted tone. I think the JJ's distortion is not harsh or unpleasant, but it definitely has an aggressive edge the Tung Sol does not.

Putting a 5751 in your V1 should theoretically lower your gain by 30%. This is a common change, but something neither of mine have. That should give a better clean tone thru the preamp section. The amp may have slightly less volume overall, but not enough to notice unless you are measuring SPL.

If the 5751 in V1 is not enough, you could try a 12AY7 in V1. I will note I've never had good luck with a 12AT7 or 12AU7 as preamp tubes. "Tube-wise", you can also try swapping V2 for a Sovtek 12AX7LPS and even get some late breakup EL84's.

Again, please post back and let us know what you think about the 5751.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.