Bandit Red Stripe FX loop loss of gain

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Citizen Groove

Bandit Red Stripe FX loop loss of gain

Post by Citizen Groove » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:48 pm

Hi everybody. Happy to be here. Long time Peavey user (Classic 50,5150,Bandit, PA amps etc). I'm looking for a solution to the FX loop problem on my early 2000's Bandit Red Stripe (block letter). I installed a Mooer Radar cab sim in the FX loop to have all sorts of cab sim options. It sounds really good but there is one nagging problem. On the lead channel(also clean channel), I have to turn down the post gain (nice name for a channel volume) so much so as to not overload the input of the Radar that I can't get the overall amp volume loud enough anymore. The FX loop boost switch on the rear panel is in the right position. The input on the radar is turned down. The patch and master volumes of the Radar are turned up to maximum. I can initially see that the post gain of the lead channel should be after the FX return in the circuit, but it isn't. Thus my low volume problem. I suppose I could put a boost pedal between the Radar and the return jack to get enough gain back to drive the power amp, but it's just more expense. I've used the Radar with my Classic 50 2x12 with great success. Has anybody had this problem and are there any other solutions than just throwing hundreds of dollars at it?