Peavey Classic 20 - Combo

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Bazbot

Peavey Classic 20 - Combo

Post by Bazbot » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:51 pm

Hi All, first time posting here and was looking for a little help.

I haven't been playing much over the last 3 years but with COVID and all, I started playing a bit more on my acoustic and decided to get my e-guitar out of the case. I bought a little Classic 20 Combo many yrs ago, like in 95 I beleive and had a lot of fun with it. I had lent it to a friend who had it for a couple of years and when I got it back, it's really really dirty :( I believe I can clean the Tolex easy enough but it's the chrome control panel that I'm concerned about. I know that 0000 steel wool works wonders on chrome (and cleaning fret boards) but my concern is the silk screened numbers on each control getting scrubbed off. For whatever reason the "5" on the dial for every knob is already either gone or starting to fade (very weird) so I'd like to avoid losing other markers. Any ideas? I'm sure others around here have done this as well?

Really looking forward to firing it up again and just ordered a Warehouse https://wgsusa.com/vet10 speaker for no other reason than I loved the sound sample on their site and a full retube kit from Eurotubes. I never really cared for the the stock speaker and mine is just black w/o any markings on it, unlike the blue Eminence I've read also came with this amp. When I was using it a lot, I ran it through a 74' Marshall Slant cab and man.....it was like a new amp. Eventually will look into a 2x12 at some point I'm sure.

Thanks in advance to anyone with some suggestions!

JamesPaul

Re: Peavey Classic 20 - Combo

Post by JamesPaul » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:10 am

I am not sure how I missed this one and I am confident you have sorted it out by now.

But for future searches, if it is only dirt you can use baby wipes to clean the chrome control panel. They are water based and will not harm the silk screened numbers on the control panel.

Here is a link to my C20 I cleaned up.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=49267
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

Classic30inCincy

Re: Peavey Classic 20 - Combo

Post by Classic30inCincy » Tue May 04, 2021 8:10 pm

JamesPaul--

You still the proud owner of Classic 20 Combo ? * ? * ?

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge