Valveking 112 - conflicting documentation... ohms

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
myrios

Valveking 112 - conflicting documentation... ohms

Post by myrios » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:37 pm

I have a Valveking 112, and the external speaker jack on my amp says "minimum 8 ohms" !!!

The manual i found online shows the same jack labeled "minimum 16 ohms" and most forum discussions refer to it as requiring a minimum of 16 ohms for the external speaker, and that the internal speaker is also 16 ohms.

Are there different versions of this amp? I assume my internal speaker and the amp is still the 16 ohms as I understand these amps are rated..\
I was going to try this with my 8 ohm 2x12 cabinet, but am sort of confused... Did they misprint? If the internal speaker is 16 ohms, why would the external speaker be 8 ohms....? I'm also assuming my amp disconnects the internal speaker when the external jack is engaged, but haven't tested it yet because of this question...

Thrashed

Re: Valveking 112 - conflicting documentation... ohms

Post by Thrashed » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:12 am

Ive ran 8 ohms on mine with no issue. Mind you i only played it for about a half hour that way but no problems. Then I wires my cab back to series so it would be 16 ohm. Not sure if damage will occur if played for longer periods of time. As for early break up. I think do some research on tubes power and preamp. Most tube stores online will give you the qualities of the tube in the description.
And you dont have to worry about biasing the power tubes since the vk is a fixed bias amp.
Hope it helps. Kinda late with the reply.

Enzo

Re: Valveking 112 - conflicting documentation... ohms

Post by Enzo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:21 pm

The idea is they have the 16 ohm internal speaker, and you would use a 16 ohm external speaker. Together two 16 ohm cabs makes 8 ohms. It has always been a clumsy instruction on the panel.

Like just about every other tube amp, if you use the "wrong" impedance external cab, it won't hurt it.