New to Peavey amps - proud owner of a Renown !

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
thornev

New to Peavey amps - proud owner of a Renown !

Post by thornev » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:32 pm

Hi Everyone,

I just registered. I bought an original Renown a few days ago. I need something for my Who tribute band audition that is loud. Renown fit the bill. It's dated April 1983. It came with the original foot pedal and casters. Pots were scratchy and made pops. I opened it up, cleaned the pots with tons of Faderlube and CRC, cleaned the knobs and jacks. That got rid of all the pot noise. Cleaned the tolex with a stiff brush and water. Then I removed the grille and bummer, one of the speakers was torn. I ordered a pair of Scorpion replacements and just finished installing them. The amp is now SINGING !! Psyched to try it out and next band get-together. I'm also going to replace the filter caps - standard practice with electrolytics. I've restored a few tube FM receivers so I know a little something about electronics and amp circuitry. Solid state is new for me. I printed the schematic 2' x 3' and have been studying it and reading about it on forums.

Me, I've been playing guitar since I was 9. I also play keys and bass and I sing lead. I've been gigging since 1971. Playing guitar is my passion and it's best in a band. My mantra is "articulation, dynamics and groove." I've been in 3 Yes tribute bands - quite the challenge. My favorite guitarist is Pat Metheny followed by Steve Lukather.

Hope everyone is staying safe. Keep rockin' ! Thorne
Gibson SG Standard, ES335, Les Paul Custom, Boss GT-1000, Renown