Rage 158 Post Gain Pot Replacement

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
jayzee

Rage 158 Post Gain Pot Replacement

Post by jayzee » Thu May 21, 2020 4:11 pm

Hi everyone, I've searched this forum and not come across the answer to this question, so hopefully someone can provide some help. I recently picked up an inexpensive Rage 158 amp that was supposedly fully functional but in reality everything works except for the Lead Post Gain control. It's a constant low volume. I removed the PCB and traced the issue back to the Lead Post Gain potentiometer (listed as VR3) on the schematic). A portion of the wiper contact inside the pot has corroded and disintegrated. I have been searching (without luck) for a part number or replacement part for this pot. The only markings on the actual pot are B10K on the back of the housing. Any help will be appreciated.

Enzo

Re: Rage 158 Post Gain Pot Replacement

Post by Enzo » Thu May 21, 2020 11:13 pm

That is a 10k linear pot. Get the schematic from Customer Service at Peavey it will have part numbers.

You can order parts from Peavey, but you must CALL, no email orders.

jayzee

Post by jayzee » Thu May 21, 2020 11:46 pm

Thanks Enzo. I did try emailing once without any responses, so good to know that channel is a dead end. To this point I haven't been able to get through to anyone on the phone but I 'll keep calling until I can get through to somebody.

So they're good about providing a schematic upon request?

It would probably be easier to just go and buy a new amp but at this point it's more about completing the fix.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri May 22, 2020 9:19 am

Did you use this address? [email protected]

Calls are best made right when they open weekday mornings, central time.

jayzee

Post by jayzee » Fri May 22, 2020 9:34 am

No, I originally used [email protected].

However, I did manage to get through on the phone to a person this morning. It didn't dawn on me but they have been non-essential and closed for several weeks and some of the employees were returning to the office today. The parts and service departments will not return until next week, so that explains why I was not able to get a response from anyone. She did suggest that I try emailing [email protected] to see if anyone is monitoring that address, but per your earlier feedback i'll need to wait until next week to speak to somebody over the phone.

Thanks for your help.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri May 22, 2020 12:39 pm

service@peavey would be a repair shop, where I doubt anyone is.

You can email parts with questions, just can't order that way.

This virus gets in the way of everything, but in general, Peavey has the best customer service in the industry. I say that as someone in the pro audio repair business for over 30 years, and as an authorized shop for many major brands. PV stands head and shoulders above them all in my book.

BlazerBandit65

Post by BlazerBandit65 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:47 pm

Hi , first post for me. Hopefully this can help. I needed the same pot for my red strip Blazer (1999). Peavey uses this pot in 3 places on the Blazer. The Rage and 258 EFX also use it also. Peavey pn 71190800. 10k Linear, plastic d- sgaft, 13 mm. Peavey customer service ( phoned them - emails were not answered) said they cannot supply - amp too old. Fortunately , I did locate them at Full Compass for $4.38 each plus shipping (USA) 5.95$. 3-4 week wait, but at least they are obtainable! Take care.