Heritage VTX footswitch pin functions

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
billetb

Heritage VTX footswitch pin functions

Post by billetb » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:54 am

hey guys,
I was working on wiring up my own footswitch for my heritage vtx amp and found the right schematic for the foot switch but am a bit confused as to what the true function of the selector and combiner actually do. I played around and shorted pins 5&6 to ground which makes sense to select the normal and lead channels, but I dont see how that should work according to the schematic. Any help is appreciated!
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (67.69 KiB) Viewed 1890 times

JoeMac

Re: Heritage VTX footswitch pin functions

Post by JoeMac » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:54 pm

Thanks for posting the pin-out for the connector. I'm making a footswitch from scratch for my stepson's Heritage VTX and while I had the schematic for the amp, it doesn't give the pin-out diagram for the DIN 45322 connector.

This works similar to many other selector/combiner switches on older Peavey guitar and bass amps with the DIN 45322 connector for the footswitch. Combine is a DPST switch. Selector is a DPDT switch. When combine is "on" it allows you to select one channel or the other (yes, counterintuitive) because it sends either pin 5 or pin 6 to ground depending on the position of the DPDT switch and thus allows either channel 1 or channel 2 to be selected. When combine is "off" (again, counterintuitive), neither pin 5 nor pin 6 are grounded regardless of the DPDT switch position, and the two channels are combined, i.e.. both are "on". It also functions that way when the footswitch is unplugged - neither pin 5 nor pin 6 are grounded and both channels are "on". If you look at the Heritage VTX schematic, you will see the footswitch on there and it will make sense

Enzo

Re: Heritage VTX footswitch pin functions

Post by Enzo » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:32 pm

Oh, it is only counterintuitive if you think about the switch alone. But when using the footswitch, one has no idea whether the switch is closed or not, only that both channels work or don't. Electrically the channel selector is actually a channel kill. You kill the one you DON'T want. From a user point of view this is not apparent. A user just stomps a switch to toggle between channels, or to toggle between one or both.