VK II 50w combo... too much? Report this post Quote

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
letuandk

VK II 50w combo... too much? Report this post Quote

Post by letuandk » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:20 am

Haven't been able to find a local 50w VK2 to test drive. I definitely dig the new VK series. I'm sure it can handle a drummer, no issue. At 2w, does it sound descent at lower volume??? I would think so?, but I know some low watt tube amps sound like doodoo unless cranked. Depending on the amp, 1w cranked can be too loud. Doesn't have to be a whisper. I have a house and will be in the basement. I do have to keep it fairly low when kids are asleep. I know the speaker won't be pushing much. I'm sure the tubes life will be shortened (hopefully not dramatically) playing at 2w. Just wondering if it will have a bit of life at lower volumes.

Also, in general, how do the VK II owners feel about the tones and features? I play mostly heavy blues and hard/classic rock. Cream, Zep, Jimi, Sabbath,...

Thanks all, and good luck. :mrgreen:

rogue777

Re: VK II 50w combo... too much? Report this post Quote

Post by rogue777 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:06 pm

Imo, The Peavey ValveKing 50w II is a great amp. You get the big-bottle 6L6 big bass sound with all the high end you need. It goes from 6L6 Fender clean to all the overdrive I would need, with everything in between. When it come to overdrive, Peavey amps sound so much better to me than any of Fenders Hot Rod series or whatever those cardboard Mustangs can do. That's another topic. The ValveKing 50W II is well made and its a keeper for me.

Its out of my rotation for now, I'm kind of an amp collector. When I switched the rear panel wattage selector to a lower setting. I didn't hear much effect, probably because I was just playing at bedroom volume so I may not even generating 2W of energy into the speaker. Anyway I didn't get the feeling that it did too much. I use 50W setting all the time, I want the power-reserve for my guitar, I try. With the amp overdrive capability gave me all the sounds I needed. You may think different. Thanks for mentioning another great Peavey product. I sure like the one I got. It just sounds good to me.

coasterman

Re: VK II 50w combo... too much? Report this post Quote

Post by coasterman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:43 am

The 2w setting for me is fine as I use it in my bedroom. You can always plug into the second input on the amp as there is some attenuation in the sound volume. I have had this amp for 2 1/2 years and love it. 50 watts is LOUD.