Reviving A C20 Combo

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
tele twister

Re: Reviving A C20 Combo

Post by tele twister » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:06 pm

Nice James!
The front shot looks like new!
How did the control panel clean up?

Scooterx2

Post by Scooterx2 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:33 pm

Looking good James :D what tubes did you use?
Jesus, Family, Peavey, & Duct tape in that order !:)>

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:37 am

tele twister wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:06 pm
Nice James!
The front shot looks like new!
How did the control panel clean up?
I figure I will have a better opportunity to clean the control panel with the chassis out for the pot replacement. For now, most of the grime is off.

c20cleanTop640.jpg
c20cleanTop640.jpg (278.58 KiB) Viewed 8544 times
Scooterx2 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:33 pm
Looking good James :D what tubes did you use?
I have good luck with Cincy's PAF set in my Classics so it is the two ends from that set for preamp and PI.

V1 Tung-Sol 12AX7
V2 Sovtek 12AX7LPS
V3 & V4 JJ EL84
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:50 pm

To answer the b/c questions on what was used to clean it up, it has all been water based to this point. Baby wipes on the control panel and Home Depot HDX Easy Erasers on the tweed and grill cloth.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:42 pm

Quite the resurrection there! Congrats on a great amp find and fixing it up.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:34 pm

I finally got around to replacing the treble pot. The replacement pot has a metal shaft, as opposed to the original plastic shafts, so I think the treble pot wont have this issue again. It probably should have taken less than 1 hour to swap them, but I've discovered I can't desolder to save my life these days. :lol: It was closer to 2 hours. I did find a well worn Dunlop 0.73mm nylon pick inside the chassis. I took a few pictures to be sure I plugged things back in correctly but won't post them all.

Here you can see the new pot installed and the old pot out:
c20BoardsNewPot.jpg
c20BoardsNewPot.jpg (214.88 KiB) Viewed 8491 times
In this one it is back together and burning in. You can see the new knob:
c20topNewKnob.jpg
c20topNewKnob.jpg (234.43 KiB) Viewed 8491 times
It is late enough that I won't get in a play test tonight, but will have that on the agenda for tomorrow.
James Paul's Peaveys

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:58 pm

I started another burn in around 9:00 this morning. After my Buckeyes started playing and pulled off the win I took it down to the basement for a play test. This time I opted to try it on a Classic 412E I got from a guy in Zanesville a couple of years ago. Even with no master volume I really had to roll the tone controls down (all on 2 with boost not engaged) to keep it from blasting and annoying Mrs. Paul. It is definitely full of 80's tones. Angus on the bridge pickup and Malcolm on the neck pickup ...and 70's tones and 60's tones...

I thought I grabbed my Epiphone Elitist Les Paul, but got my Edwards LP loaded with EMGs by mistake. Maybe that contributed to the hotter tones? Regardless, there is nothing wrong with it at this point. I recently managed to sell my second XXL and am currently without a stereo rig. Maybe that shifts to 2 C20's? :lol:

I won't call this my last post to the topic, but unless there are questions it may be.
afterPlayTest.jpg
afterPlayTest.jpg (285.66 KiB) Viewed 8482 times
Thanks to Shannon and Peavey Parts for helping me properly restore it :!:
James Paul's Peaveys

Waterline

Post by Waterline » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:36 pm

Looks like something I might be able to use if you're passing by the Chicago area JP.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:48 pm

You buy at CPaOG and we might have a deal :!: PM me bro and I'll see what we can put together.
James Paul's Peaveys

eternalpurple

Post by eternalpurple » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:17 pm

Just bought one of these little amps myself. You are definitely right about backing down the volume. You're also right about tone. It really is amazing that kind of tone and volume out of such a small package.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:41 pm

Definitely an amp from simpler times. It truly responds well to the tone and volume controls on the guitar. I was able to push it more on the internal speaker, but it is a totally different animal on the 412.

I'll go with a quote from Jol Dantzig, which I've use a few times before - "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now."

So who knows if we really need all the bells and whistles that are available? I would truly miss the clean channel of my Triple XXX, but if I could only keep one it would probably be a Classic.
James Paul's Peaveys

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Tue May 04, 2021 7:36 pm

JAMESPAUL--

Do you still have your C20...... :?: :?: :?:

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Wed May 05, 2021 11:30 pm

Yes Cincy, I still have both of my C20's. I have updated my signature link pics to note the amps I've sold, but I may have picked up a couple that I have not added yet. :mrgreen:
James Paul's Peaveys