Windsor Studio Reverb

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Arthur Dent

Windsor Studio Reverb

Post by Arthur Dent » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:23 pm

I found a Windsor Studio used for an incredibly low price 2 weeks ago. Tone was fine for me, but I wanted it a tad 'richer'.

Replaced the power tube, both pre-amp tubes, and the speaker.

Great sounding amp right now that I enjoy playing through.

The only other mod I would like to do is to replace the reverb tank. It's fine, but I want one with more of a presence.

Any recommendations for what to replace it with that would fit perfectly? And I'm guessing this is an easy swap out, am I right?

Any and all help appreciated.

MidiMan

Re: Windsor Studio Reverb

Post by MidiMan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:29 am

Can't say on the reverb, but what power tube and speaker did you go with? I'm about to try an Alnico Blue...in addition to a 12DW7 preamp tube in the first slot, and a KT-66 for power.
John Fera
Peavey Digital Engineering

lionheart

Post by lionheart » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:01 am

Not wanting to hijack the thread but the best tones I got out of my Windsor Studio was with the attenuator completely disconnected / removed and a 30 Watt Celestion G12 H Anniversary fitted that softened the trebles, increased bass, provided plenty of syrupy mids and a few dBs into the bargain.
For valves I chose Tesla 12AX7s and a Svetlana EL34 (Winged C).
This gave me a mini Marshall JTM 45 / Plexi type tone.

The Alnico Blue is only a 15 Watt driver and is prone to self destructing if pushed too far past it's limit. A Celestion Alnico Gold which is tonally similar but higher rated at 50 Watts may be a safer bet.

Arthur Dent

Post by Arthur Dent » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:46 am

MidiMan wrote:Can't say on the reverb, but what power tube and speaker did you go with? I'm about to try an Alnico Blue...in addition to a 12DW7 preamp tube in the first slot, and a KT-66 for power.

Power tube - TUNG-SOL 5881

Pre-amp tubes - Mullard CV4004 and Ruby AC4 HG with the Ruby in the position closest to the input jack.

Speaker - Celestion Heritage G12M 20W 12 Vintage Guitar Speaker Regular 8 Ohm: 660258

Got the tubes from DOUGSTUBES.COM. Great guy, knowledgeable, great inventory and all around great experience.

Got the speaker from Musician's Friend (20% off holiday sale).

I'm happy with the results.

lionheart

Post by lionheart » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:22 pm

I also used Made In England Mullards that were made in the 1970s (out of an old Marshall JMP Combo) and a G12M Heritage Speaker I had lying about doing nothing.
I was a little worried about pushing the 20W rated driver too hard though as I tend to use a lot of power amp overdrive in my tone but absolutely hated the tone sapping nature of the attenuator so removed it. It's surprising how it adversely affects tone even when at it's lowest attenuation levels (technically bypassed) hence my decision to remove it.
A very good choice of components if I may say so from a tonal perspective.

Arthur Dent

Post by Arthur Dent » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:03 pm

Interesting thing started to occur.

No sound from amp at all.

It's getting power, and if I plug into "EFFECTS RETURN", the guitar comes through.

Possibly caused by my not putting the pre-amp replacements in the opposition positions?

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:39 pm

Plug a spare cord from FX send to FX return, any help?

daveeckmyre

Post by daveeckmyre » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:59 pm

Make sure that you always start with general basics of cleaning and lubing all jacks pots and sliders, you will be surprised in what it cures..

Arthur Dent

Post by Arthur Dent » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:50 am

daveeckmyre wrote:Make sure that you always start with general basics of cleaning and lubing all jacks pots and sliders, you will be surprised in what it cures..
Hmmmm.

First tube amp, never did this before. Compressed air to clean, what for lube?

I'm thinking I possible have the pre-amp tubes in the wrong spots, and plan on switching them.

Make any sense?

lionheart

Post by lionheart » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:04 am

Deoxit or Super Servisol to clean / lube - DO NOT USE WD 40 !!!!!! (it is a penetrating oil not a cleaner).
Apply liberally to cotton bud and wipe inside jack sockets then exercise sockets with jack plug by repeated insertion / withdrawal.
Do not spray inside sockets, it takes for ever to dry out the circuit boards that end up swimming in the stuff !
FX loop sockets notorious for corrosion / contacts staying open due to poorly tempered springs.

Arthur Dent

Post by Arthur Dent » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:05 pm

lionheart wrote:Deoxit or Super Servisol to clean / lube - DO NOT USE WD 40 !!!!!! (it is a penetrating oil not a cleaner).
Apply liberally to cotton bud and wipe inside jack sockets then exercise sockets with jack plug by repeated insertion / withdrawal.
Do not spray inside sockets, it takes for ever to dry out the circuit boards that end up swimming in the stuff !
FX loop sockets notorious for corrosion / contacts staying open due to poorly tempered springs.

This make sense and seems like an easy 'try'. I'm going to get some Deoxit and try this out. Hope it works.

lionheart

Post by lionheart » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:15 pm

If the Deoxit fails to do the job it is also useful sprayed onto a cloth to wipe down strings after playing. It cleans them too, they rust less and retain their tone longer.
As Enzo suggested, try leaving a spare cable plugged between send and return jacks , then plug guitar into input and see if sound returns.

Arthur Dent

Post by Arthur Dent » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:29 pm

Enzo wrote:Plug a spare cord from FX send to FX return, any help?

Plugging directly into RETURN works, haven't tried doing SEND to RETURN.

Arthur Dent

Post by Arthur Dent » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:50 pm

Okay, latest update.

Did the Deoxit - no change.

When I connect the effects SEND and RECEIVE, and try to plug into HIGH or LOW GAIN, no sound.

Plugging just into HIGH or LOW GAIN alone, no sound.

Plug directly into effects RECEIVE, and I get tone.

Any ideas?

MidiMan

Post by MidiMan » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:23 pm

The preamp is not working. Try the old tubes to see if one of the new ones is bad.
John Fera
Peavey Digital Engineering