Windsor Studio Reverb

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Arthur Dent

Re: Windsor Studio Reverb

Post by Arthur Dent » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:54 pm

Is it possible - since the new tubes are not identical - that the order I placed them into the chassi is wrong?

bakiethesaxon

Post by bakiethesaxon » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:36 pm

I saw one of those amps at a pawn shop in my area in Colorado. I've always been curious of the Windsor series, they do seem pretty nice.
Peavey Gear: Reactor, Studio Chorus 210, Delta Blues 115
Non-Peavey Gear: Earth Sound Research Studio 100 212, Fender Twin Reverb, Marshall JCM900, Vox AC30, 3 Les Pauls, Epiphone Sheraton, G&L Tribute Classic, Heritage H-150, Seagull Acoustic S6

Arthur Dent

Post by Arthur Dent » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:06 pm

bakiethesaxon wrote:I saw one of those amps at a pawn shop in my area in Colorado. I've always been curious of the Windsor series, they do seem pretty nice.
If it's cheap enough, you might want to get it.

That being said, the bass can be weak (settings on your guitar will help) and the clean tones aren't what they should be, so be prepared to mod it out a big. The thing what will help most is replacing the speaker.

See earlier in the thread for what mods I did.

Again, if you can get it cheap enough, go for it. If not, move on.

MidiMan

Post by MidiMan » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:41 pm

Arthur Dent wrote:Is it possible - since the new tubes are not identical - that the order I placed them into the chassi is wrong?
Hmmm. The order will surely affect the tone, but the amp should still work either way. I think either a tube is bad, or got plugged in wrong. I was thinking the old tubes could rule out any damage to the amp itself. If it works with the old ones, you can sub in the new tubes one at a time to see if you can locate a bad one.
John Fera
Peavey Digital Engineering

Arthur Dent

Post by Arthur Dent » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:05 pm

MidiMan wrote:
Arthur Dent wrote:Is it possible - since the new tubes are not identical - that the order I placed them into the chassi is wrong?
Hmmm. The order will surely affect the tone, but the amp should still work either way. I think either a tube is bad, or got plugged in wrong. I was thinking the old tubes could rule out any damage to the amp itself. If it works with the old ones, you can sub in the new tubes one at a time to see if you can locate a bad one.

I'm on it! That's tomorrow's project.

bakiethesaxon

Post by bakiethesaxon » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:14 pm

Arthur Dent wrote:
bakiethesaxon wrote:I saw one of those amps at a pawn shop in my area in Colorado. I've always been curious of the Windsor series, they do seem pretty nice.
If it's cheap enough, you might want to get it.

That being said, the bass can be weak (settings on your guitar will help) and the clean tones aren't what they should be, so be prepared to mod it out a big. The thing what will help most is replacing the speaker.

See earlier in the thread for what mods I did.

Again, if you can get it cheap enough, go for it. If not, move on.
Ok, well I'm looking into a Delta Blues 115, so I may not be getting a Windsor soon. If anything, I may get the Windsor Head for touring.
Peavey Gear: Reactor, Studio Chorus 210, Delta Blues 115
Non-Peavey Gear: Earth Sound Research Studio 100 212, Fender Twin Reverb, Marshall JCM900, Vox AC30, 3 Les Pauls, Epiphone Sheraton, G&L Tribute Classic, Heritage H-150, Seagull Acoustic S6

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:30 pm

Order in which you plugged in the preamp tubes doesn't matter. However it's very possible that one of the new tubes (or both) got a beating in transit and has failed. Try the old pre-amp tubes.

As for reverb, I've tried a few different ones, and I much prefer the sound of the 3 spring 9" MOD tank in my Classic 50. The longer 2 spring tank that comes stock in it is too syrupy or drippy or wet sounding to me. The shorter 3 spring units sound more like you're in a small concert hall which I prefer. Spring reverb tanks are cheap, so feel free to order a few and try them out. My least favorite is the Accutronics 2 spring long tank. It just sounded kind of dull and underwhelming to me. But ya never know which one you'll like.

Here's a great little article on the various tanks available: https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech_cor ... d_compared

Arthur Dent

Post by Arthur Dent » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:53 am

ScottMarlowe wrote:Order in which you plugged in the preamp tubes doesn't matter. However it's very possible that one of the new tubes (or both) got a beating in transit and has failed. Try the old pre-amp tubes.

As for reverb, I've tried a few different ones, and I much prefer the sound of the 3 spring 9" MOD tank in my Classic 50. The longer 2 spring tank that comes stock in it is too syrupy or drippy or wet sounding to me. The shorter 3 spring units sound more like you're in a small concert hall which I prefer. Spring reverb tanks are cheap, so feel free to order a few and try them out. My least favorite is the Accutronics 2 spring long tank. It just sounded kind of dull and underwhelming to me. But ya never know which one you'll like.

Here's a great little article on the various tanks available: https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech_cor ... d_compared

Going to do some tube swapping a bit later on today. Also going to check that they are clean, lubricated, and fully seated.

VERY interesting link on the reverb tanks - thank you! Sounds like the 3 spring unit is the way to go.

Arthur Dent

Post by Arthur Dent » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:13 pm

MidiMan wrote:

Okay! Thanks for the input!

What solved the problem: taking out the 2 new pre-amp tubes, lubing and inserting a couple of times with Deoxit.

I appreciate deeply all the conversation and information. This is an extremely valuable forum to a new tube amp guy. Thank you all for your valuable input!

You've all been great.

NOW - just the reverb tank left to replace......

MidiMan

Post by MidiMan » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:43 pm

Good deal! Glad you got it back up and running.
John Fera
Peavey Digital Engineering

Arthur Dent

Post by Arthur Dent » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:50 pm

MidiMan wrote:Good deal! Glad you got it back up and running.
And I was terrified the whole time!!!

daveeckmyre

Post by daveeckmyre » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:14 am

OK, it seems that you are an inexperienced tech looking for answers...
First, it's a tube amp, and packs a punch, and if you do something wrong, you'll pick yourself off the floor.

You should take it to a professional tech, they will test your tubes, check your bias, and make sure voltage points are correct.
Yes, Deox is for cleaning jacks, switches and pots (potentiometer, or volume/tone controls)
If it is an older tube amp, you should have it re-capped

You may have a switching jack that is defective, spray the cleaner into the send\return jacks, take a cable and repetitiously push it in and pull it out rapidly about 10-15 times, do this a couple of time, then see if things get better...but I would not go any further, let the pros do their magic...

Arthur Dent

Post by Arthur Dent » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:50 pm

daveeckmyre wrote:OK, it seems that you are an inexperienced tech looking for answers...
First, it's a tube amp, and packs a punch, and if you do something wrong, you'll pick yourself off the floor.

You should take it to a professional tech, they will test your tubes, check your bias, and make sure voltage points are correct.
Yes, Deox is for cleaning jacks, switches and pots (potentiometer, or volume/tone controls)
If it is an older tube amp, you should have it re-capped

You may have a switching jack that is defective, spray the cleaner into the send\return jacks, take a cable and repetitiously push it in and pull it out rapidly about 10-15 times, do this a couple of time, then see if things get better...but I would not go any further, let the pros do their magic...

daveeckmyre -

Thanks. Read prior posts, problem has (THANKFULLY!) been solved.

Appreciate all the help and advice.

daveeckmyre

Post by daveeckmyre » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:52 pm

Do share Do share!!!
:D

Arthur Dent

Post by Arthur Dent » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:45 am

"Deoxit" all tubes and re-seating them did the trick.