Restoring 8 Pin DIN Cables for Transformer 112/212 (PFC4) and BAM (PFC4B)

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Rob22315

Restoring 8 Pin DIN Cables for Transformer 112/212 (PFC4) and BAM (PFC4B)

Post by Rob22315 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:20 pm

WARNING - Sanpera cables appear to be different so the below applies only to the Transformer and the BAM which use the PFC4 and PFC4B footswitches respectively.

After gathering up three Transformer 112s from the dust bins of ebay, I ended up with two footswitches and two footswitch cables. All three Transformers, both foot switches, and one of the cables work great (one Transformer electronics went back to the factory for a refurb). My adventures with using two of the T-112s are in another thread. The third I replaced the stock speaker with a Jansen and use it to comp for a friend who plays clarinet.

One of the cables had some really gnarly cable ends - massive amounts of duct tape and electrical tape to provide strain relief because the rubber strain relief on the plugs had separated from the plug shell. Attempts to buy shorter aftermarket cables to replace the factory cables were unsuccessful - they created a wicked ground-loop hum for some unknown reason. I found the replacement plugs (same as factory) at Mouser - they are Switchcraft part # 15BL8MX - and are identical to the factory plugs. I finally got around to replacing the two plugs this afternoon.

The plugs come apart with the single screw visible in the shell. The inside just pushes out from the back. The factory workmanship was quite good, not mil-spec but everything was heat-shrinked, twice, then a small amount of electrical tape added to provide friction with the soft strain relief jacket.

I unsoldered one plug and was able to slide the first old shell from the far end of the cable and slide new shell/strain relief over the unsoldered end to the soldered end so I only had to unsolder/resolder one end. After carefully writing down the color code of the wires, I soldered the new plug onto the cable - using the same amount of heat shrink tubing as factory and being sure to slide the new shell/strain relief onto the cable before doing any soldering. I reassembled the new plug, did a continuity check and everything looks great - just like new.

If anyone else has 8 pin DIN Peavey cables and doesn't like having gnarly plugs, replacing them with factory plugs is relatively easy with rudimentary soldering and mechanical assembly skills. It appears to be the only solution because these cables aren't available from the factory any more and aftermarket 8 pin DIN cables don't work. Let me know if I can answer any questions or provide any advice to anyone else who wants to do this.

After comparing the aftermarket cables to the Peavey cable, I found the difference - the metal shells on the Peavey cables are not connected to anything. There's no cable shield, just a bare ground wire connected to the center pin on the plug. The metal shells are completely insulated from everything. On the aftermarket cables, the shells are connected to each other.
Peavey Transformer 112 (2) and 212.
Peavey Generation EXP

samhainlimon

Re: Restoring 8 Pin DIN Cables for Transformer 112/212 (PFC4) and BAM (PFC4B)

Post by samhainlimon » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:44 pm

Hi Rob. I have a couple of Transformer 112. They are in pretty good shape but only one original cable between them. I too purchased an 8 pin midi compatible with the Sanpera and got the ground hum problem. Is there a way to modify the Sanpera cable. Or is there anywhere to get these original midi cables for the PFC4? Any help is appreciated!

Rob22315

Post by Rob22315 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:46 am

Do you have a factory cable for the Transformer that could be repaired? I can help you with that. We could try to build a new cable using the connectors I previously specified. You could try disconnecting the shells on the Sanpera cable but that would ruin it.

It’s been 5 years since I dealt with all of that so I’d have to take a look at my cables to get enough specifics to offer you better assistance.
Peavey Generation EXP

fmumma

Post by fmumma » Wed May 11, 2022 9:11 pm

hi. Can you tell me what gage wire was on the Peavey midi cable? And do you remember what color wires went to which din connector pin? I recently bought a Transformer 112 and PFC4 footswitch but it has no midi cable. I've read in your previous post that you repaired the din connector plugs and you had the original peavey cable. As such, Im planning to make my own cable since these Peavey made cables are no longer available and the after market do not work or create an loud ground hum/buzz sound. Was interested in getting more information if possible? Thanks

Frank

Rob22315

Post by Rob22315 » Fri May 13, 2022 12:20 pm

Frank, suggest we exchange email or text info so I can send you pictures. No idea what the gauge of the wire might be but they are pretty thin.

I think you can PM me your contact info or send me an email using the hidden email link in my profile.
Peavey Generation EXP

Rob22315

Post by Rob22315 » Fri May 13, 2022 12:21 pm

If you are starting from nothing, the color of the wires don’t really matter. Just don’t hook the shells to anything or you will get a buzz.
Peavey Generation EXP

fmumma

Post by fmumma » Fri May 13, 2022 7:08 pm

Will do Rob. Thanks for replying!

fmumma

Post by fmumma » Fri May 13, 2022 7:22 pm

Once I get all my parts and materials to make a cable and test it for accuracy, I will post everything I did and list the parts I used for anyone else who may run into this problem in the future. Many thanks to all the help I have received so far from all the members on the forum, who have offered suggestions and information concerning this subject.

FM