What do the Sheffield's sound like?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Nibbles

Re: What do the Sheffield's sound like?

Post by Nibbles » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:37 am

I don't have any personal experience with the speaker (other than listening to a few clips on tonefinder) but the Sheffield 6505 has been referred to as a "broken-in V30". Supposedly that is what EVH wanted the speakers to sound like. YMMV.
Bun Splitter

KTB

Post by KTB » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:01 am

Ok my bad and in reality as a whole I still feel the same about the overall of the Sheffield.

The XXX Imo is the closest to the C-30 that you will find however still not as clear but somewhat a more mid-high resemblance of it. The 5150/6505 was made to be more of a greenback 25 watt but still not as close as some want to believe. The JSX is more thin and will not cut into the mix as well but has a better tone and closest to the greenback IMO.

Take into consideration that the Sheffield is a 16 ohm speaker and the C-30 and other celestions can be 8 or 16 ohms so when paralleling or series for 4 in a 4x12 cab the dynamic change can have a huge effect on the overall frequency response curves along with an individuals personal fletcher/munson curves so it can be very subjective.

IMO the V-30's are more mid-rangy than any of the Sheffields even the XXX and these speakers have slightly difference wattage ratings which I don't know exactly. The Weber speakers can be bought in several wattage ratings and doped to a specific % and you also can get Ceramic or Alnico so the whole speaker difference thing can be a very complex subject in itself and we haven't even covered one impedance formular yet which is obviously beyond the scope of this discussion.

twirlyboggs

Post by twirlyboggs » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:59 am

Yeah not sure what celestions are in my 1960A cab, pulled the panel when I bought it to ensure they were celestions but can't remember what - the cab was def less midrange than the XXX cab
Everyone could hear that

U should a/b it if know anyone in driving dist

Bio5150

Post by Bio5150 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:24 am

A Sheffield in my opinion tonal wise sounds like a harsher vintage 30. But that all all depends on the amp driving it. I’ve owned a 5150 3, have a triple xxx 40 watt, have a mesa roadking 2 combo I often use with 4 12 Marsha cab with all Sheffields in it, and I built a 112 Sheffield speaker cab. It can give the warmth and girth of a v30 with the right amp in front, but it excels at metal tones in a closed back cab, very tight with no additional distortion the harder you push it so it doesn’t change the harder it’s pushed like a v30 can. However in my homemade open back cab it has a warmer sound. In my opinion a Sheffield is as good as a v30 at half the price when I bought mine, better constructed and much more durable. But my suggestion is to play an amp through a couple cabs with different speakers hear the results. There was a video on YouTube of a guy comparing an oversized mesa cab, Marshall 1960,( both stock speakers), an orange v30, and a Hugh’s and ketner greenback cab.