12 Series Plexi Mod for Peavey Windsor 100W Head

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
johnnybgoood

12 Series Plexi Mod for Peavey Windsor 100W Head

Post by johnnybgoood » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:59 pm

Here is a mod for the Peavey Windsor head. It works great. I got the idea after browsing all the mods located in the Van Halen section of the MetroAmp forum most notably the Mod 5 topics.

I noticed the screen cap change affects the sound of the amp in a very positive way. Replacing the screen cap with a 16uf value brings out the "wood" in the brownsound. This confirms it for me. Van Halen's original main plexi has a 16uf value in the screen caps (i.e. 32ufs in series) as well as Slash's JCM800 that he used to record UYI.

This mod will bring out your intestinal fortitude. The hardest part is drilling a couple of holes in the PCB board by the master volume pot to drop in and solder a 220K resistor.

Amp modding is dangerous work. Get your local guitar tech to apply this mod.

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t39 ... ndsor1.jpg
http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t39 ... ndsor2.jpg

No one should be gouged big bucks for wanting awesome tone out of their amp.

hellride

Re: 12 Series Plexi Mod for Peavey Windsor 100W Head

Post by hellride » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:44 pm

So which mod do you think I should go for?
This one, the "plexi mod" or the "jcm mod"?
Or do you think it depends on what kind of tone your after?

johnnybgoood

Post by johnnybgoood » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:16 pm

As you said, it depends on the tone you're after. This specific mod has more gain than a regular plexi (i.e. more like EVH and less like Angus Young) but it's nothing close to the gain in modern metal.

Sporty75

Post by Sporty75 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:27 pm

Just finished the mod and it really works great! Johnnybgoood, you are the man! Your mod and instructions are superb. I'll buy you a beer if I should ever visit your area!

It was hard work but finally it's done. I feel like I have just beaten "Dark Souls" (In case you are familiar with this game)
Modified Windsor
Modified Windsor
image.jpeg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 5377 times

Krock

Post by Krock » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:49 pm

Looking at the itemized punch list, it seems that
It might be the same amount of work to just do a turret board? Dealing with the existing circuit board having both positive and negative aspects, maybe gutting it would kend more flexibility. (More cost for pots etc)

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:35 pm

This is only my opinion.

I have always been able to get any Marshall tone I need out of my stock Windsor. The low gain input seems to give Plexi to JMP tones, and the high gain yields JMP up thru modified JCM 800 tones. True I have pickup options to hit the preamp as needed, but the mods seem like a lot of work given what the Windsor already offers.

I know we all seek different tones, and the Windsor is an inexpensive mod platform. I just do not see expending all the mod efforts on mine, to get anything else that it does not already offer.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.