some of the most versitile peavey amps around.

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
PinkPaisleyTele

Re: some of the most versitile peavey amps around.

Post by PinkPaisleyTele » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:20 pm

Not testy, just tired of certain people always trying to shove their opinions down my throat in bold and large fonts.

This being said, I openly apologize to all other WB&G members for allowing myself to use this very interesting and otherwise good thread to air any off topic responses.

This will be the last off topic post on this thread from me. Again, please accept my apologies.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Good night.
Peavey Triumph 60, Classic 30
Peavey Mace 320T, Music Man 212 HD
(2)Pink Paisley & Blue Floral Tele
Tele Thinline 83, 50th Ann Tele
Tom Delonge Strat - Avatar 2-12 Celestion Cab
SUPER RARE Camaro Tube Amp

Frank N. Peavey

Post by Frank N. Peavey » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:20 pm

I will never understand the heated debates over the virtues of solid state or tubes. I'm a solid state guy. Always have been other than a really bad experience with some Brand M tube heads. But I actually prefer the low maintenance aspect of solid state. I'm not a techie type, so low maintenance is good.

Amp preference is like guitar preference. Some folks go for tubes, some solid state. Some go for T-60s, others like Strats and Les Pauls. It's all good.

That being said I'll add a vote for my Bandits. I do everything from surf to metal on them.
Tony
ITOC #05-00013

T-63, 5 T-60s, T-20, Hydra, Mantis LT, Mystic, Odyssey, 3 Patriot tremolos, Patriot Bass, 2 Predators, 2 Raptor I, Razer, Reactor, Retro Fire, 3 Rockmasters, 2 Bandits, Backstage, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP 2

guitaraddict

Post by guitaraddict » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:36 pm

its all opinion based lol. and since we apparently arent restricting ourselves to just peavey in this topic, is anyone familiar with the carvin X100B series? ive heard they get some really nice tones across several different styles. ill also admit that the five band eq that comes built into them sounds pretty promising, though i wouldnt know for sure, but id sure as hell like to try one lol.

XloydtilldeathX666

Post by XloydtilldeathX666 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:51 pm

Tube amps aren't as maintenance heavey as we sometimes make them seem. If you play alot, you have power tube replacement issues sometimes. That's really about it typically.

Those carvins are pretty cool. Thrydont do modern high gain stuff well, but they cover alot of groud. Frank Zappa swore by them. Steve vai used them for a really long time too.
ultra plus
xxl head
vtm 60
412 ms

past -
bastardized 410 cab
rock master preamp
supreme 160
valveking royal 8
revolution head
vtm 120

Wannarock8

Post by Wannarock8 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:21 am

Back on the topic of versatility, my first amp, that I saved up for all summer when I was in high school in like 1979 or '80, was a Peavey Mark 3 Musician. Two channels, gain and master volume on each channel, active tone controls on one channel, 5 band graphic EQ that was assignable to either channel (it might have even been footswitchable, I can't recall), built in phaser and reverb. I got the matching ported 4-12 enclosure too.
With all those controls, you'd think it would be a versatile amp. But I could not dial in a good tone.
It always sounded muddy.
I imagine there may have been players who mainly used clean tones who liked these Musician Mark 3 amps. It didn't work for me. Anyone else ever have one, or still have one?

EdGrip

Post by EdGrip » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:17 pm

RE: Maintenance. This is the reason I decided to go SS.
I just bought a silverstripe Bandit in pristine condition for less than a new set of valves for my old AC30CC head. And I can assure you, that amp ate valves. I played it a lot. And now that I've got the Bandit, I don't miss it. (Well. Of course I miss its looks. Those things are beautiful...)

I'm looking forward to seeing one of these new Special 212s. They look rather nice. I can see Peavey doing some limited runs with tweed, and brown grillcloth...

tommer

Post by tommer » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:55 pm

EdGrip wrote:RE: Maintenance. This is the reason I decided to go SS.
I just bought a silverstripe Bandit in pristine condition for less than a new set of valves for my old AC30CC head. And I can assure you, that amp ate valves. I played it a lot. And now that I've got the Bandit, I don't miss it. (Well. Of course I miss its looks. Those things are beautiful...)

I'm looking forward to seeing one of these new Special 212s. They look rather nice. I can see Peavey doing some limited runs with tweed, and brown grillcloth...
I agree on no or low maintenance with solid state amps.

Many here get really uptight over someone saying anything GOOD about any solid state amp.
I say to them... "Suck it up Cupcake"
:lol: :mrgreen:
BLUES BLUES & MORE BLUES... 8)
I was brought up so po, we couldn't afford the O and R in poor...

getcha_pull

Post by getcha_pull » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:33 pm

yeah i agree if anything good is said about solid sate amps people freak out lol ive never had a problem with a ss amp....no changing tubes or worrying about when they could go.i think you can get just as good of a sound with solid state rather than tubes.plus the cost can be much less than a tube amp and you dont always suffer a loss of quality

"I'm in the Blackout Society
Born to raise hell, rock, kill & drink"

twang_banger

Post by twang_banger » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:40 pm

Some days I like chocolate, some days vanilla.

t_b :D

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:09 pm

Oy--

There's Solid State

Then

There's

Peavey TransTube Solid State

Personally own Classic 30 Tube, ULTRA 60 Tube, and TransTube Bandit Red Stripe

I can EQ the Bandit dead on for Classic 30 tone.

T-Dynamics allows feel, tube push back, and dynamics similar to the C30.

I did not say identical for feel, push back, and dynamics.

Classic 30's have Xtra dimensional Mojo even the TransTube cannot copy exact.

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:21 pm

My Vypyr Tube 60 is about as versatile as they come. It can mimic any amp sound I have ever heard. On its own, it sounds great on a number of amp settings, and the effects allow you to dial in anything you hear. Everything sounds great and is easy to dial in and save. I can go from Blues to Country to R&B, Swing, Classic Rock, Rockabilly, Metal, Acoustic, Harp, etc... all by pushing a single button. Best amp I've ever owned. Most versatile on the planet, IMHO.
Dalrymple

Wannarock8

Post by Wannarock8 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:55 pm

dalrymple wrote: Everything sounds great and is easy to dial in and save.
That is one handy thing about modeling amps - being able to save all your sounds and switch between them quickly. If you gig and need to switch between a lot of different tones, it sure beats messing up a great guitar lick because you couldn't play the lick and tap several pedals with your toe at the same time.

Fourtythree

Post by Fourtythree » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:02 pm

In the limited time I got to spend testing a VTM, I found it to be very versatile, at least for a non-modeling amp.
VK212-head conversion, modded
Ultra 410
Vypyr VIP 1

twang_banger

Post by twang_banger » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Tu Be or no Tu Be's

t_b :D

guitaraddict

Post by guitaraddict » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:36 pm

Some days I like chocolate, some days vanilla.
haha this guy gets it. :) ive heard people talk about the vypyr as well, though im not much into modeling amps, but i noticed the 120w 212 vypyr is the same price as a valveking 212 so i imagine they were both created like that to give players options. how do the two compare to each other, strengths, weaknesses, etc?