some of the most versitile peavey amps around.

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Muskratt

Re: some of the most versitile peavey amps around.

Post by Muskratt » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:11 am

I have had way to many SS amps in the past and they all sound like SS.. They aren't warm enough in the tones for my liking.
I have one Roland Cube 20 that I have hung on to when i have to travel light or have company show up to play, other then that it too still shound like a transistor crap tone..
:(
no longer play or own.
Schecter BlackJack SLS C1 Active Blackouts
Martin DX1AE Acoustic/Electric
Former Peavey 6505+ Combo
Laney IronHeart IRT60H
Peavey 412MS SS G12K-85's
Roland Cube 20
Digitech RP-50
Bad Monkey OD
Beringer - EQ700

XloydtilldeathX666

Post by XloydtilldeathX666 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:27 am

If you ever get a chance try a bandit, an ampeg vh-140c, a peavey supreme 160, a Roland jazz chorus, or a lab series amp. Might open your mind a bit about the solid sate amps
ultra plus
xxl head
vtm 60
412 ms

past -
bastardized 410 cab
rock master preamp
supreme 160
valveking royal 8
revolution head
vtm 120

Wannarock8

Post by Wannarock8 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:16 pm

The thread question is what do we consider the most versatile Peavey amps, it didn't say they had to be tube, so for sheer versatility, I will go with the Supreme XL, and it's successor the XXL.
I own a Supreme XL head, and might be tempted to trade it for an XXL sometime.
They're not boutique or high end tube amps, but the Trans tube circuitry does wonders in delievering a warmth and dynamic response similar to a tube amp.
The Supreme XL has 6 very useable voicings - three on each channel. I consider that versatile. The three voicings on the distorted channel remind me of Van Halen (British), Metallica (the Modern setting is uncannily like Metallica!) and a fat, very sustainy shred lead tone (Ultra).
On the clean channel, the Vintage setting is a great sparkly clean tone with a smooth high end. The Modern clean setting, I didn't "get" at first. It's thicker than the Vintage setting with less high end and sounded pretty dull to me. Then I tried a pedal in front of it and understood. This is the setting for players who get their dirt from pedals. It is the most pedal-friendly voice on the amp.
The Crunch voice is misnamed IMO, because if you turn the gain up, you get a smooth, Fender-style blues overdrive. Plug in a fine Strat, set the amp to the Crunch voicing, and you can do convincing SRV tones.
The XXL adds a third channel, with three more voicings. One is a great classic British tone that cleans up nicely and doesn't feature huge amounts of gain and crunch - like 70's AC/DC, Joe Walsh and Rush tones. I wish my Supreme XL had this one. Again, it is not a Marshall Plexi or JMP spot on impersonation, but it sounds darn good.
I also recently got a Penta. My new favorite amp.
I think the different voicings on the Penta roughly correspond to different decades in guitar tones.
The Star is that 70's AC/DC and Joe Walsh tone.
The bull is an 80's metal tone, reminds me of Iron Maiden or Dio.
The cactus, though Peavey describes it as a Texas blues rock tone, really reminds me a little of Jerry Cantrell's 90's Bogner amp tones on Alice in Chains tunes.
And the mudflap girl voice is obviously a 2000's metal tone. And contrary to a lot of reviews, I find it useable, though I have to set the tone controls differently than for the other voicings. The youtube demo mentions that the tone controls for this voicing become active, so that tells you right there that any tone you have dialed in for the other voicings is going to be different on this voicing. It is VERY scooped, so the mid control has to be turned up. The others, I need to experiemtn with setting them about halfway, which on an active tone control is a flat setting, and then set them to taste from there. The tendency is to start with them all the way up, but if the controls are active, all the way up means everythign is boosted.

Wannarock8

Post by Wannarock8 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:18 pm

XloydtilldeathX666 wrote:If you ever get a chance try a bandit, an ampeg vh-140c, a peavey supreme 160, a Roland jazz chorus, or a lab series amp. Might open your mind a bit about the solid sate amps
There was an old Lab Series amp on the stage every week at an open jam that I used to go to. The clean sounded great, and the overdrive, though it didn't in any way resemble an overdriven tube amp, was very cool in its own way.

nagnuggets

Post by nagnuggets » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:20 pm

i owned a lab series 2x12 amp.. my first amp.. it was beat up bad.. reverb didnt work.. bought it at a old country store.. like a pawn shop, for 100 bucks back in 1994.. it had the most beautiful clean tones ive ever heard.. i ran a metal zone out front.. for my dirty tones... i loved that amp... it was so heavy.. built like a tank... until my wife, girlfriend at the time, got pissed at me and gave it to her friend which gave it to her boyfriend.........lol women!!!

SEC CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!! KENTUCKY WILDCATS!!!! GO BIG BLUE!!!!
ESP/LTD MH-50
IBANEZ ART100 SERIES with SD PUPS
esp/ltd ec-1000 deluxe
Peavey ultra plus
4X12 loaded w/WGS SPEAKERS ET65 AND REAPER..

PinkPaisleyTele

Post by PinkPaisleyTele » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:37 pm

Guess I'll give the Triumph a bump.

The Triumph 60 or 120 is still IMO one of the most versatile, and underrated, amps out there. Peavey or not. Put an extension cab underneath and you can get every tone in the book.
Peavey Triumph 60, Classic 30
Peavey Mace 320T, Music Man 212 HD
(2)Pink Paisley & Blue Floral Tele
Tele Thinline 83, 50th Ann Tele
Tom Delonge Strat - Avatar 2-12 Celestion Cab
SUPER RARE Camaro Tube Amp

tommer

Post by tommer » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:02 pm

e-merlin wrote:
Muskratt wrote:OUCH!

Oh what a sore you hit... To even consider a solid state is epic fail.
Why? What's wrong with SS? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad.
Look at all of the pros who play SS. Stating that something which goes against
your preferences is an epic fail is an epic fail unto itself
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Heck, no one even broght up the Green Qualities of the Bandit and other
SolidState amps... being:
You don't have to feed them tubes !
Just think, soon the USA will outlaw tungsten bulbs for you lamps
and light fixtures... they have filaments that burn out too.
Same as a NOT GREEN vacuum tube.

Transistors just go on and on and on and on and... get it ? :lol:

Tubes make HEAT... HEAT is wasted energy.

Are any of you getting any of this stuff? :lol:

Now which one of you will tell me that I am wrong... which i am not
:mrgreen:
BLUES BLUES & MORE BLUES... 8)
I was brought up so po, we couldn't afford the O and R in poor...

XloydtilldeathX666

Post by XloydtilldeathX666 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:14 pm

transistors make tons of heat. thats why transistor amps that arent heat sinked properly diewhen pushed hard. othewise you arent wrong about anything in your last post, but you have been wrong plenty of other times. as we all have.
ultra plus
xxl head
vtm 60
412 ms

past -
bastardized 410 cab
rock master preamp
supreme 160
valveking royal 8
revolution head
vtm 120

Box

Post by Box » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:18 pm

Transistors compared with vacuum tubes

Advantages
The key advantages that have allowed transistors to replace their vacuum tube predecessors in most applications are
Small size and minimal weight, allowing the development of miniaturized electronic devices.
Highly automated manufacturing processes, resulting in low per-unit cost.
Lower possible operating voltages, making transistors suitable for small, battery-powered applications.
No warm-up period for cathode heaters required after power application.
Lower power dissipation and generally greater energy efficiency.
Higher reliability and greater physical ruggedness.
Extremely long life. Some transistorized devices have been in service for more than 50 years.
Complementary devices available, facilitating the design of complementary-symmetry circuits, something not possible with vacuum tubes.
Insensitivity to mechanical shock and vibration, thus avoiding the problem of microphonics in audio applications.

Limitations
Silicon transistors do not operate at voltages higher than about 1,000 volts (SiC devices can be operated as high as 3,000 volts). In contrast, vacuum tubes have been developed that can be operated at tens of thousands of volts.
High-power, high-frequency operation, such as that used in over-the-air television broadcasting, is better achieved in vacuum tubes due to improved electron mobility in a vacuum.
Silicon transistors are much more vulnerable than vacuum tubes to an electromagnetic pulse generated by a high-altitude nuclear explosion.
There you go, back on topic please. So far only Peavey amp I've had is the KB-300, so can't really give any on-topic input in that regard. But in terms of versatility you'd have to give it to the modeling amps I suppose.
I Peavey________
Ensoniq VFX
Korg Monotron
Korg Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KM802
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Secesh

Post by Secesh » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:04 pm

Special 212/Special 212 II...
Extremely versatile. 3 channel. Two modes on the clean, three on eack dirty. Lots of headroom, great tones. Stacks up against any tube amp I've ever played in it's price range.... 130 watts through 2-12" Sheffields...
Make ya forget about tubes real quick.....
Too loud,huh,what did you say?

Genny S-1
Special 212 II (Featuring<Special Edition Cryo'd Transtubes) 'n' Beam Blockers
---------------

WHO DAT Geaux Tigers

PinkPaisleyTele

Post by PinkPaisleyTele » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:38 pm

Tommer, Repeat after me.

You keep the transistors, I will keep my tubes.

End of discussion.

So I guess to answer your earlier question, No, I'm not getting it. (Oh, and I never will)

PinkPaisleyTele

Post by PinkPaisleyTele » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:39 pm

+1 to the modeling amps for versatility. Kinda hard to beat them when it comes to sound variety.

Rug13

Post by Rug13 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:45 pm

tommer wrote:
e-merlin wrote:
Muskratt wrote:OUCH!

Oh what a sore you hit... To even consider a solid state is epic fail.
Why? What's wrong with SS? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad.
Look at all of the pros who play SS. Stating that something which goes against
your preferences is an epic fail is an epic fail unto itself
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Heck, no one even broght up the Green Qualities of the Bandit and other
SolidState amps... being:
You don't have to feed them tubes !
Just think, soon the USA will outlaw tungsten bulbs for you lamps
and light fixtures... they have filaments that burn out too.
Same as a NOT GREEN vacuum tube.

Transistors just go on and on and on and on and... get it ? :lol:

Tubes make HEAT... HEAT is wasted energy.

Are any of you getting any of this stuff? :lol:

Now which one of you will tell me that I am wrong... which i am not
:mrgreen:

Your right about the tubes producing heat, though transistors also produce heat just not enough to be even worth measuring. There is no right or wrong when it comes to tube amps vs ss amps. Both have pros and cons and those pros and cons are usually subjective based on each players experience with the types of amp. I happen to use a tube amp but if I had to go to china to play for 2 months i would take my line 6. I don't like the idea of having to hunt for tubes in place where I don't speak the language. See pros and cons based on different situations etc.

Now to return to the original topic and stop with the pointless bickering like children the 6505+ is a surprisingly versatile amp. Both channels can provide a number of different sounds just using the crunch button and switching pickups/rolling volume back. The clean sounds a little flat but an eq pedal in the loop can help to add that magic sparkle.

Surely as far as versatility the vypr amps must be in with a shout. Sure they won't do the great tube overdrive like a 6505+ but they'll get better cleans etc. Versatility = jack of all trades = modelling?
Peavey 6505+
2x Peavey 5150 4x12
Line 6 Pod xt live
rjm rg-16
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez Prestige s5470f
Ibanez Jem 555
Ibanez 7-String
PRS SE Standard

guitaraddict

Post by guitaraddict » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:54 pm

nice, ive learned quite a bit from this thread lol. and honestly as far as the 5150/6505 are concerned, i was considering getting a 212 combo (i think the 81lbs would be totally worth carrying around lol). the lead channel needs no explaination but as far as people saying that the cleans arent that great, id have to disagree. you arent gonna get fender cleans but you can get very decent cleans by just rolling back the volume on your guitar just like eddie does.

tommer

Post by tommer » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:05 pm

PinkPaisleyTele wrote:Tommer, Repeat after me.

You keep the transistors, I will keep my tubes.

End of discussion.

So I guess to answer your earlier question, No, I'm not getting it. (Oh, and I never will)
Rather testy tonight... bad meal maybe ? :lol:

BANDIT !
:mrgreen: 8)
BLUES BLUES & MORE BLUES... 8)
I was brought up so po, we couldn't afford the O and R in poor...