History and Timeline of the Peavey Bandit

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
GennyFan

Re: History and Timeline of the Peavey Bandit

Post by GennyFan » Tue May 05, 2015 1:53 pm

TomasJ wrote:So, to make a long story short. I don't thínk there ever was a manual specifically for the solo series. My amp was probably made in '82 or '83, and it came with a manual from 1980 with a gunsmoke logo amp on the cover.
Hi Tomas,

Thanks for posting! Does your manual look like this?

http://assets.peavey.com/literature/man ... 349030.pdf

If so, yes, it's a Gunsmoke Bandit manual... If not, you may have stumbled onto a long lost Solo Series manual! 8) :mrgreen: 8)

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Tue May 05, 2015 6:33 pm

IMHO, I think a manual for the first "Solo Series Bandits" never existed.
The control layout, features, specs, and operation of my 1982 Solo Series Bandit is completely applicable to the Gunsmoke Manual, word for word.
Therefore, I think Peavey used the same manual for the Gunsmoke through the Solo Series Bandits, and TomasJ's post supports this.
Bandit 65s came with a whole new circuit and a whole new manual, and that would be the second Bandit manual.
Just my speculation :D

JETTAYLOR777

Post by JETTAYLOR777 » Sat May 09, 2015 2:26 pm

There are many NAMES given to the bandit amps either unofficially as in the forum or as a gender specific reference to amp types.... The newer amps are very familiar due to the ability to evolve amps when the opportunity offers. In all of this the color of a identifiable element of amp styles and the general discription of amps has been a fender thing for as long as I can remember. The same holds true for Peavey. These are amps that have been relevant to our households since the late 50s and I hold them dear.

My point in this statement is that Crate, Marshall, Hughes and Kettner, the boogies the EVH, and the like, they may all have nice informative ways to identify thier landmark amps, by number or what ever it may be. You get a sense of reliability and straight forward social statements when it comes to the amps you know preferable by knowledge...use....trust in the history of what is commonly said about an amp. From perspective I own at this time 6 peaveys an old fender and a Marshall. Does this make me a amp head....yes probably. Tone is a burden and we all know it. Thanks to all whom appreciate the things that would bind us in some way all coveting tone all deeply rooted to the sound of music when it feels just right.

JETTAYLOR777

Post by JETTAYLOR777 » Sat May 09, 2015 3:01 pm

After reading all the current texts on the peavey bandit and transtube studies I find that most all the folks associated with Peavey do so because of the qualities that the multitude of folks like about Peavey amps. It s not hard to find these attributes in an amp when you own 6 of them and they all render a great tone plus they all have a wide range of tone to be made enjoyable as we see fit. They the amps take pedals, take guitars and take players equally and without prejudice. Having peavey history since the early mid 70 s I like Peavey have grown to enjoy ever aspect of any peavey that I have opportunity to play. It feels fitting to hear you all talk about the most positive things about the amps and hold very little regard for the short cominings. Which means, at least to me, that they sound good and they last a long time. What more could you ask for. My take on this is there is basically one general skill that guitarists must adhere to, that being you either have a tube amp of some sort preferable Peavey and a SS amp back up, you must be fairly trusting of your equipment. I m sure that this is true of most all Peavey owners. They, whom have chosen a tube amp to give them satisfaction for the important stuff and a non or limited mantainence SS amp to cover the back up.

I m sure there are plenty of artists whom have two solid state amps to play. I ll be sure to mention that those sentiments expressed here in this forum, all atest to the qualities most prominant in the amps each own. I find this true in the amps I own along with them. There are many forms of reliability in Peavey amps and the majority of them are that they do very well when used in the way they were designed. And last a good long time in doing so.

From the history of the Bandit series as expressed here, I find that my Revolution amp has the majority of the same features of the bandit, but with a greater gain system that doubles or triples the signal distortion of the Bandit. None the less I agree with the good things that have been said about the Bandits as they are the circuits that thrive very well in the Revolution amps as well. I have found that the Studio Pro, the express, the amps that carry transtube technology as well as the bandit all do a fine job of offering specifics to each style amp the tone and signal path that creates the palate we enjoy in depth.

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Mon May 11, 2015 5:13 am

I've got a Revolution 112 too... 8) The big diff' between the Revolution and the Bandit is the Ultra Channel on the Revo is ACTIVE. Put the EQ knobs at 12 noon on the Revo and they're equivalent to a Bandit dimed. This lets you dial in ridiculous amounts of bass for a 112 combo. In fact, two of the Revos living at my place showed up with dead Sheffield speakers, mostly likely thanks to the active eq.

I put an Eminence V12 in one and it's amazing for singing Boogie-esque leads, and will hang with a 412 cab. Much better efficiency and power handling than the stock Sheffield. The other got a Celestion Silver Series 80, which is similar to the Lead 80, but the V12 sounds better, IMHO.

Another difference with the Revolution is that the effects loop is footswitchable, but the reverb is NOT. That's cool if you want to put a delay and/or an EQ in the loop, but it's kind of a drag that you sacrifice the reverb footswitching to do it.

FWIW, I think I've posted this before, but the Revolution 112 uses the same footswitch and pin diagram as the XXL and Special 212 amps. The XXL footswitch is cool because the housing is metal and very rugged, and you can connect it with a standard DIN cable, which means if the cable goes bad, you can just replace it, no soldering.

Sadly, I haven't used my Revolutions in over a year. If I was gigging regularly the Revos would probably see more use. In the meanwhile, I've got two Black Box Bandits I use for teaching and practice. Been using one of those Bandits since 1998, nearly 20 years of continuous use, and it was already pretty road worn when I got it.

easton55

Post by easton55 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:07 am

Hi, I've got a Bandit 65 that I bought new way back, and was just reading through all the messages here on them. It shows these as built from 83-86, but mine decodes by the serial number as an 82. Is there an error in the 83-86 manufacture dates, or something? I know I did pick it up in 83, but just was wondering on it after reading all the info on the board here. I'm not arguing anything here or anything like that, just wondering what is correct for sure.

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:30 pm

Welcome easton55.
You probably have one of the very first Bandit 65s, maybe even put together just before the factory Holiday shutdown in '82/'83 :D
I'm curious, does it have completely independent Normal and Gain channels, like a regular Bandit 65 :?:

easton55

Post by easton55 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:59 pm

Thank you!
Near as I can see, everything looks the same on mine as what is shown in the operating guide for the B 65. But they are shown as separate High Gain and Low Gain channels, not Normal and Gain as you had asked about.
I know a friend of mine had one of the earlier 50w Bandits, but it's too far back in time for me to remember for sure how it was set up. Maybe it had separate channels like you had asked about, but again I don't remember for sure.

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:09 am

I found this while searching eBay, and I think it is an early, pre-Scorpion Bandit.
The serial number "CA" I think would actually be "0A", but the zero got scratched and looks like a C.
Also, it has six digits, meaning late '70s most likely, the standard square mag speaker, and no blocking for an upper back panel.

"Description
Make/Model: Peavey Bandit Solo Series
Serial #: CA-(0A=1980 Amplifier?) 777160
Power source: Solid State
Watts: 50 Watts
Weight: 38.8 lbs
Dimensions: 20 x 9.5 x 20"
Speakers: One 12" Speaker
Features: Includes Foot Switch
Condition: This amp looks good! There are some scuffs..."
0.jpeg
0.jpeg (26.67 KiB) Viewed 9781 times
0-2.jpeg
0-2.jpeg (26.82 KiB) Viewed 9781 times
Last edited by tele twister on Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bakiethesaxon

Post by bakiethesaxon » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:35 pm

Nicely done. I almost got a Bandit amplifier a few years back, but I ended up finding something else. They're a very durable, a good sounding amp, I first heard of it when one of Lou Reed's past guitarist, Robert Quine, used one, live and in the studio.
Peavey Gear: Reactor, Studio Chorus 210, Delta Blues 115
Non-Peavey Gear: Earth Sound Research Studio 100 212, Fender Twin Reverb, Marshall JCM900, Vox AC30, 3 Les Pauls, Epiphone Sheraton, G&L Tribute Classic, Heritage H-150, Seagull Acoustic S6

xr400

Post by xr400 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:31 pm

Just bought a Bandit "Silver Stripe" this morning for $80, looks brand new and came with pedal. I already have a Yamaha G100-112 SS amp that I use with a Line 6 Pod HD500X and it sounds great for low volume practice as well as band volume. Bought the Peavey to make stereo rig. I also have a Carvin V3 100 watt tube combo (first version with 50 and 100 watt switch which also sounds good thru the Pod but at 61 yrs old I am not quite happy with trying to move an over 80 lb amp with only a top handle in and out of my car trunk!). Going to try out the Peavey now, if it sounds as good as the Yamaha I will be one happy camper. These reviews definitely helped me make my decision. :D

xr400

Post by xr400 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:38 pm

Just played through the Bandit for a couple of hours. Took awhile to figure out how to hook up the Pod but when I did, NICE! It was really loud only turned up about an eighth of the way on the clean channel so there is plenty of power for my needs. If these Peaveys are reliable as you say I feel like they are a complete steal for Pod users. The Peavey actually feels a little lighter in weight than the Yamaha but they are both small and will fit in my car trunk quite easily. No one may read my posts since this thread seems old but I was so excited I had to post somewhere.

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:36 pm

Welcome xr400!

Congrats on your NOAD! (new old amp day)
Most of us need very little convincing of the kick buttness of the Silver Stripe Bandit.
Several times, just for the fun challenge of it, I've played small gigs with my tele, a cable, and my Silver Stripe with the foot switch.
There's a great feeling of confidence, with that little thing singing away behind you. It can cover a lot of sounds.
Enjoy!

eclipseall

Post by eclipseall » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:03 pm

Man ... do i regret selling my Red Striped peavey USA Bandit.....loved that amp :oops:

xr400

Post by xr400 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:18 pm

Thanks for this forum. Back in the early 70's our band rented a Peavey PA system from our local music store and we used it so many years we had paid it off and that little thing never failed us. I just remember it at as being a small head/mixer and two small column speaker cabinets. That was my only experience with Peavey equipment and it always sounded good and always worked. I thought Peavey was a Japanese company for some reason? Well I am so pleased with my Bandit that another one popped up for sale and the seller will take $60, also mint condition. The HD500X sounded so good at any volume ( low volume to really loud) through the little Peavey I am going to have a true stereo rig now! Man, these are great little amps for use with the modeling pedals! I come home from work now and practice 2 hours everyday and enjoy every second of it (saves my Carvin V3 tubes and hassle of warmup time plus the Peavey just sounds better with the Pod unit, I'm thinking I won't be playing the Carvin much anymore but it's still a very nice and versatile tube amp). I played with a keyboard friend I've known since 1970 and he now thinks I am a good guitar player and wants to play weekly LOL, it's the amp, it just makes my playing sound better than I am :D .