History and Timeline of the Peavey Bandit

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
David L

Re: History and Timeline of the Peavey Bandit

Post by David L » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:39 pm

I had an 83 Bandit 65. My dad bought it for me as an upgrade from my Backstage. I think we traded in the Backstage. I can't remember. I was 15. I sure wish I could remember who I sold it to. I loved that thing!

I have an early 80's Backstage I picked up on Craigslist last year. Better start looking for another Bandit 65 before all of you bandits buy them up! :wink:

Terminus

Post by Terminus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:32 pm

I recently bought a 1987 Bandit 65, loving it!

rogue777

Post by rogue777 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:44 pm

I just bought a new 2017 Peavey Bandit for my amp collection. I must be a guitar amp oholic. I own more than one. I like solid state amps and glad to own this one. I like tube amps too. I like them all. Anyway the second one arrived in perfect condition. I’m keeping it! and plan to use it.

I bought online from Musicians Friend. The first one, there was an issue with the cabinet construction, speaker baffle crack. No one’s fault, so I returned it. Nothing electronic. The great company – Musicians Friend let me exchange it.

Question to the forum:

What happens to returned items with defects?

Do they get recycled back to the mfg. to fix minor issues and then resold?

[email protected]

Re: History and Timeline of the Peavey Bandit - one you missed

Post by [email protected] » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:27 am

So, I picked up a Bandit Solo Series 112, 80 watts, one of the in-between models. This one isn't exactly covered in your history, but I did find a schematic for it - the schematic is dated 1989 if that helps anybody out.

It retains the the old cabinet style of the original Bandit (slightly slanted-in sides, narrower at the top), but it's the "shorter" chassis (by 1/4 inch) with smaller knobs and a layout similar to the later "stripe" Bandits. The Lead/Gain channel has the Supersat and Post controls, along with the Bottom and Edge, but no other tone controls, and it doesn't have the shift and drive buttons of the later models.

It's tired, needs to be cleaned, and the Scorpion has a rip in the cone that I "patched" - but it still sounds pretty good. I'll need to replace the Normal channel's volume pot, If Deoxit doesn't fix it, and I'll be scrounging around for a new speaker (it's cheaper than getting a Scorpion basket). I intend to do the re-chip mod while I have the chassis out for cleaning. I'm thinking about converting this to a head, since the cabinet has been "modified" by a previous user - they cut a pair of 2x5" rectangular "ports" in the baffle, next to the speaker - for what, I do not know...

Not my pic, but it's the same version/model:

The schematic:
http://deaf-eddie.net/misc-pics/1989-Bandit.pdf

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:19 pm

BTW, the control panel on my oddball Bandit is identical to that of the Solo Series Special 112, so that manual would work for you, if you need some guidance - just ignore the power specs at the end of the manual.

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:00 am

I like Sheffield 1230's in these amps when I can't find an affordable Scorpion.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

JakobPlaysBass

Post by JakobPlaysBass » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:34 pm

Hey, I know its like a whole decade later, but I have a manual that Peavey sent me when I emailed them about my 81 Solo Series!
Heres the link!
https://assets.peavey.com/literature/ma ... 349030.pdf

VTsnow1983

Post by VTsnow1983 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:58 pm

The block logo started before 2000, just an FYI as I purchased a Transfex 208s back in the late 90's with the block logo. Not sure why they didn't put them on the red stripe bandit amps during that time period...the silver stripe ones that is. But I admit that I wasn't really too knowledgeable back then on amps and guitar stuff..still learning at this point. Still have that transfex, what a great amp. I passed up the opportunity to purchase the pro version combo and head unit so many times and kick myself in the rear now for not making the purchase...especially when the price was always so low for some reason. And that was and still is a fantastic amp. Yea Peavey amps are noisy little beasts, but when you are playing you can't hear it. That's what a volume pedal before the input is for. I have been playing with lots of different amps and pedals and modelers and multi fx pedals for decades now and I just plugged back into that Transfex last night and it reminded me of why I love that amp so much. Reliability, great sound, loud as all hell for a 50 watt solid state amp, loads of features and more. It's far more reliable than any of the newer stuff now, and made in the USA! It's heavy compared to any of my new amps except for my Marshall amps.