Overall "best" solid state Peavey guitar amp?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
pvholic

Re: Overall "best" solid state Peavey guitar amp?

Post by pvholic » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:17 pm

The question was, Overall Best solid state Peavey guitar amp" .

As peavey in the early 80's made changes on a few things every 6 months. Then switched like many others, to one a year. Look how many different changes in the Bandit that used to be Peaveys best selling combo amp. Remember "Saturation" then "SuperSat (1988) "and power increased , cosmetic changes,etc. I have had almost all of them. I had the tilt back type Special that was 160 watts and the Scorpion Plus speaker added, active EQ, and a built in EDI box. goes directly to the board . Talk about loud.
Personally, I did not like the Bandit and others taken to China. I don't have to hear anything about them being the same. I've been a Pvholic longer than most of you, before you were born. My problem is American jobs. The XXL was the one that really made a hearable difference to me immediatly, with Peavey's constant improvements. So your best liked can be any them. but the XXL has the most and latest improvements. Best overall. Try them out.

" I like the Teal band Bandits and Specials, they sound better " :lol:
PV VSS 20.jpg
PV VSS 20.jpg (4.59 KiB) Viewed 9964 times
" I Play Peavey..............or I DON'T Play!!! "

Charlie

triguy

Post by triguy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:48 pm

Interesting that no one has mentioned Vypyrs. Do they count?

Triguy

Telecastoff

Post by Telecastoff » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:38 am

Nashville 400.....I own five Peavey amps...Renown 400, Special 112 (Teal Stripe), Special 112 Wedge and Bandit Silver Stripe Trans tube with matching cab. I really like all of my Peaveys, but my Nashville 400 is my go-to amp for most gigs with my Tele Am Std.

vforever

Post by vforever » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:49 pm

I am going with the XXL. I see the "best" as three categories: tonal quality/flexibility, user-friendliness and gig-worthiness. Tied for second are the TT Supreme and the Supreme XL. But the XXL just has some extra magic to it that I can't quite put my finger on. (The TT Supreme is like a head version of a Silver Stripe bandit, but with an output transformer.)

I could say the Vypyr Pro, but I don't own one yet so I can't comment from experience. Yes, the solid-state Vypyrs have the best tonal qualities, but the channel switching is a hang-up and they just aren't as loud or durable as the beastly XXL head. It was tough for me not to nominate a Vypyr. I own a VIP 2 and am super impressed with the new power amp. Unfortunately the cabinet is subpar. I'm waiting for someone to put a 2x4 through theirs, so I can buy it up and convert it to a piggyback unit.

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:08 am

I vote for a 75-100w Vypyr 1 series. The switching? Really? I've gigged with Vypyrs since 2008, and I have never had a situation where the switching was an issue. Not 1 time in 8 years. Maybe I'm just old and slow, but it never seems much different than any other amp. Maybe I'm just well timed. Dont know. We are not a waltz band.
For tone, effects, versatility, TONE, well, I've owned hundreds of amps over the years, and nothing else sniffs the territory you can cover with a good Vypyr.

That said, I only know 1 other good player who uses one on stage. It is not for everyone. You have to be able to dial it in and understand how it works. Most players dont have the patience or inclination to mess with them. Thats why you can buy them cheaply. But get it once, and you're set forever.

A niche amp that can smoke the competition in the right hands.
Dalrymple

vforever

Post by vforever » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:15 pm

Yep, there's a delay of unpredictable length, and it bothers some folks. Not so much me, because I stay planted on one channel/model.

I agree, there really is no matching the tonal capabilities of the Vypyr. Have you compared the VIP 3 or Pro to your fave 75/100 first gen Vypyr? I don't think you'll be completely blown away, but I think you'll find that the new power amps have punch and resonance on par with the Vypyr 120 or the XXL.

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:54 pm

Red stripe Bandit with a tech21 blonde and a good compressor in front.

wireman75

Post by wireman75 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:47 pm

My vote goes to the Special 112 wish I didn't sell it. Also a very high honorable mention to the XXL head another amp I didn't sell.

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:04 pm

Ref Stripe Bandit.

ColtIce

Post by ColtIce » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:46 am

of the 5 ss peaveys I have owned Id say the Supreme XL but I can only assume the xxl is a bit better so it gets my vote
Peavey gear past* and present^
Peavey Solo Series Special*
Peavey Supreme XL*
Peavey Red Stripe Bandit^
Peavey Red Stripe Rage 158*
Peavey Vypyr 15*
Peavey Vypyr 30*
Peavey Ultra 410*
Peavey UltraVerb II*
Peavey 412MS*
Peavey 6505 Piranha^

bgfthntr

Post by bgfthntr » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:27 pm

80'S Backstage 20watts. Just gigged with it last night and mic'd it through the sound system. A guy came up and asked my tube amp was.... I then pointed at the little peavey. I must admit that I recently put a Jensen Jet Falcon 10" 8ohm in it.... its sounds huge, well sort of :D

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:51 pm

bgfthntr wrote:80'S Backstage 20watts. Just gigged with it last night and mic'd it through the sound system. A guy came up and asked my tube amp was.... I then pointed at the little peavey. I must admit that I recently put a Jensen Jet Falcon 10" 8ohm in it.... its sounds huge, well sort of :D
Jensen Jet series are some seriously nice speakers.

Nicksummers1

Post by Nicksummers1 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:52 pm

[quote="dalrymple"]I vote for a 75-100w Vypyr 1 series. The switching? Really? I've gigged with Vypyrs since 2008, and I have never had a situation where the switching was an issue. Not 1 time in 8 years. Maybe I'm just old and slow, but it never seems much different than any other amp. Maybe I'm just well timed. Dont know. We are not a waltz band.
For tone, effects, versatility, TONE, well, I've owned hundreds of amps over the years, and nothing else sniffs the territory you can cover with a good Vypyr.

That said, I only know 1 other good player who uses one on stage. It is not for everyone. You have to be able to dial it in and understand how it works. Most players dont have the patience or inclination to mess with them. Thats why you can buy them cheaply. But get it once, and you're set forever.

A niche amp that can smoke the competition in the right hands.
Dalrymple[/quote

I couldn't agree more! I have 2 VTM half stacks and used those gigging all over the midwest. When I got back to playing out, the Vypyr is what I used and have a blast with it! Dial it in, organize your presets and away you go. Perfect when playing all kinds of styles and needing so many tones. Best solid state has to be the Vypyrs. I own the 1st run 30 watt and a new VIP 2. Love em both.
invective 120 & cabs, 2 VTM 120s, Tubefex, TG Raxx, Rockmaster preamp, 2 VYPYR 30H, VIP 2, Nano Vypyr, Vypyr 120H, VSS, 6505 Piranha & cab, TMP Tube pre, 45+ Peavey guitars (most USA), tons of Peavey PA gear. 3 HP2s

twangboy

Post by twangboy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:16 am

i would have said silver stripe Revolution 112 combo. and i still might, but i have acquired a contender to the throne. Special 130. Ridiculously loud with great tank verb and a smaller package. what an absolutely killer piece
2- 87' Falcons, 90 Falcon Standard, 91 Falcon Custom,94 Axcelerator, 95 Firenza, Patriot, 83 Impact 2, 84 Horizon 2, Prowler, Wiggy, 2 X Classic 20,Classic 30 II, VK20MH(FieldKing!), 112SX cab, Transtube Pro 100 EFX, Transtube 258EFX

m131rogers

Post by m131rogers » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:52 pm

I have to go with the Transformer 112. Really flexible, dials in beautifully for almost anything you need. I have a tweaked eeprom with some extra goodies that makes it even better.

-Mike