Overall "best" solid state Peavey guitar amp?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
XloydtilldeathX666

Re: Overall "best" solid state Peavey guitar amp?

Post by XloydtilldeathX666 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:33 pm

my vote is for the supreme 160.
consistent sound through the entire volume range, good reverb, bluesy deep cleans.. dirty is anything from kinda dirty marshall type breakup all the way to full on death metal distortion.
at the gates used this and a ds-1 to get one of the most sought after metal tones out there....
ultra plus
xxl head
vtm 60
412 ms

past -
bastardized 410 cab
rock master preamp
supreme 160
valveking royal 8
revolution head
vtm 120

moonmark

Post by moonmark » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:20 am

Peavey Renown 212

Secesh

Post by Secesh » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:34 pm

triguy wrote:
Secesh wrote:I'm voting for my Special 212 II. Tons of tonal variations, great reverb, 130 watts, two Sheffield 1230s, designed, and manufactured in the CSA! :)
Except for when you have to carry it, that is an awesome amp! It's just like the Revolution, but with an extra speaker and a couple more watts.

Triguy
Yeah man, that sucker is heavy...
Too loud,huh,what did you say?

Genny S-1
Special 212 II (Featuring<Special Edition Cryo'd Transtubes) 'n' Beam Blockers
---------------

WHO DAT Geaux Tigers

ClaudeBenjamin

Post by ClaudeBenjamin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:38 pm

I really want to try one of those Stereo Chorus 212 amps. I've heard good things about them. I almost bought one from a guy off of Craigslist but it was too beat up for my liking.
Peavey Classic 50 Head w/80's Peavey MS412 Cab
Peavey Bandit Transtube II (Red Stripe, USA) + matching extension cab

Nibbles

Post by Nibbles » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:37 am

XloydtilldeathX666 wrote:my vote is for the supreme 160.
consistent sound through the entire volume range, good reverb, bluesy deep cleans.. dirty is anything from kinda dirty marshall type breakup all the way to full on death metal distortion.
at the gates used this and a ds-1 to get one of the most sought after metal tones out there....
Well said! Wish I still had mine. :cry:
Bun Splitter

RSPV

Post by RSPV » Wed May 29, 2013 2:08 pm

PinkPaisleyTele wrote:I have to agree, the Special 130 is a great sounding reliable amp.

But my vote in terms of versatility and tone would have to be the Stereo Chorus 400. I owned one in the past and you would be hard pressed to find a cleaner toned amp with tons of power and solid bottom. I would put it up against a Roland JC any day.

I have to disagree about the SC400 vs. a JC 120. I own and have gigged/jammed both. The Roland is a far superior amp in sound, features,quality and even weighs a bit less. Love my Sc400 but the stereo function is the draw there. Two completely separate amps give an uncany stereo separation. When it comes to chorus, the JC is the king. As far as a good clean sound, JC again.
Ahem, back to the topic: my Special 212 tt is pretty special! It's the best of every bandit I've played with more power and two, count 'em, two 1230's!!
-Various T-60s, Predator,Falcon,Genny Series2
Foundation Bass,Takamines,Guilds,Ibanezes,Epi LP Elite
-Renown 400 212
-Classic 50 212
-Fender Cybertwin
-Roland Jc 120
-Roland Micro cube 1x4
-Bunch of pedals,Fx boards,looper etc.

RSPV

Post by RSPV » Wed May 29, 2013 2:24 pm

My bad PinkPT, you said put it up against, and yes that can be done. PV saturation will smoke the distortion feature on the JC. I feel the PV is far more reliable also. They both can get crazy loud and still sound great. I played my Sc400 in a warehouse at near full volume with a Les Paul and it litteraly hurt my ears standing 15' off to one side. I could drownd out a 100 watt Marshall with 4 x12 cab! Everybody was amazed. Cleans stayed clean. The JC stayed home that night.
Cheers and sorry for the thread jack .
-Various T-60s, Predator,Falcon,Genny Series2
Foundation Bass,Takamines,Guilds,Ibanezes,Epi LP Elite
-Renown 400 212
-Classic 50 212
-Fender Cybertwin
-Roland Jc 120
-Roland Micro cube 1x4
-Bunch of pedals,Fx boards,looper etc.

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Wed May 29, 2013 5:15 pm

My vote, Transtube Bandit! I have a red stripe and have owned a lot of peavey gear and for a ss amp this thing smokes!

guitarman1phil

Post by guitarman1phil » Wed May 29, 2013 10:55 pm

Transformer 112, Best solid state i have ever owned, followed by the Vypyr 75

PHIL

sahlomonic

Post by sahlomonic » Thu May 30, 2013 2:55 pm

I would say a toss-up between the XXL, Transtube 100 EFX HD, and the Bandit/Studio Pro.

I've owned 2 XXL heads, and they served as excellent backups to my XXX when I had it. Channel 2 was hit or miss with me, but the Ultra channel was great. Lots of modes which was useful. I currently have a Studio Pro for home practice, and it has a lot of similar tone that most of the Delta-series Transtube amps have (that I've experienced anyway). Also I have the Transtube 100 EFX HD head, and it's amazing. Lots more low end and much darker sounding than the XXL, with the added benefit of onboard digital verb/delay. Really cool amp that sounds awesome when you crank it.

pvholic

Post by pvholic » Thu May 30, 2013 7:32 pm

As far as Peavey continuously made more and more improvements the XXL's, as Shredder stated hit the nail on the head. I first heard one thru a 412 Peavey cab and I would have sworn it was a tube amp and after I walked around the front I was smiling as of then I heard a few guys saying the same thing. I have owned & played most all Bandits and Specials and every 6 months change was an improvement. as well as The Stereo Chorus 400 to the last Stereo Chorus 212 all 130 watts per channel I wanted, I bought. I was very thankful being at every NAMM show back in the early 80's when Peavey was there twice each year, so I would see what the changes, that were coming. That is how I have most of the Peavey Monitor Mags and list prices and all of the brochures. I have been watching for a XXL 212 combo. I really need to lower my number of USA Peavey Guitars as soon as I can get a final list of all I must keep ( To me) then make a tough decision. I will not ever give up my first year 1991 Classic 50 410. I have the Classic 115E cab also, and my latest Classic Tweed is a Classic 100 and Classic 412E cab I am going to add new set of Peavey Pop out Casters for it. That one I may sell as I am getting too old to be doing all of that stuff for many years now. I will add a new set of tubes first.

Oh, Every one has there own opinion and we all have different likes ( ears) which ever Peavey amp SS or Tube, Peavey makes an amp for every body.
Attachments
ET's home Falcon Customs12-29-04 034.jpg
ET's home Falcon Customs12-29-04 034.jpg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 11895 times
" I Play Peavey..............or I DON'T Play!!! "

Charlie

M-III

Post by M-III » Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 am

Another vote for the XXL, there's a reason it won an award at the NAMM the year it was released.

3 independent channels with a master volume and 3 voicing switches on each channel with 25, 50 and 100 watt operation, including a full-sized tube amp type output transformer... Which lends to the closest tube sound out of a solid state I've ever heard. It's a evolutionary amp for sure, but to me, it's still a revolutionary solid state amp to this day. I will own one... eventually. :mrgreen: 8)

J.LaGrassa

Post by J.LaGrassa » Fri May 31, 2013 11:05 am

I had this same setup back in 97 and now I have it again, just bought this a few weeks ago and love it for it's simplicity and kick ass tone!

Transtube Bandit w/Sheffields gets my vote!

Terry Allan Hall

Post by Terry Allan Hall » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:11 pm

Red Line Envoy110...sweet-sounding about half-way cranked, and sounds HUGE through my PA. Love the reverb, too...most perfect! (This amp requires a drummer who understands dynamics.)

If I needed more volume, I'd get a Redline Bandit and plug in a 1X 15" open-backed cab into the auxillary jack.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:25 pm

"Best" is defintely subjective.

Still, I'm torn between XXL and Bandit.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.