Peavey Rage 158 hum when switched off

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Masonij

Peavey Rage 158 hum when switched off

Post by Masonij » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:03 pm

I have a Peavey Rage 158 which makes a humming noise when plugged in to the power socket at the wall but with the amp actually switched off. Any ideas what could be causing the hum and how to fix it? Suspect it must be something to do with the power cable or a resistor or something. Just odd that the amp is not even turned on.

studiodtk5

Re: Peavey Rage 158 hum when switched off

Post by studiodtk5 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:34 pm

That is a very odd issue.

Are you certain that the hum sound is from the amp?

I suspect that something may be wrong in the switch. I have not taken one of those apart, but it is a push in/out action for ON/OFF. Maybe something in there is not fulling disengaging.

Does this hum go away when the amp is actually ON?
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

wildschwein

Post by wildschwein » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:39 pm

If there is hum when the power switch is turned on can you plug in and play the amp in the off position?

What about when you unplug it from the wall -- any hum then?

dak

Post by dak » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:16 am

The circuit diagram clearly places the power switch after the mains transformer. This puts less strain on the power switch and more on your utility bill. The hum will be mechanical hum (120Hz) from the transformer. Meaning that short of swapping the transformer, solutions will be mechanical and focus on isolating/dampening/stopping the vibration.

Unless the hum is loud enough to annoy you when playing, the cleanest solution likely is using a switchable mains socket/plug instead of the secondary power switch in the Rage 158.