Artist 240 Transformers w/ tube preamp

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
LGuilmette

Artist 240 Transformers w/ tube preamp

Post by LGuilmette » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:39 pm

Hello all,

I have had a derelict Artist 240 chassis with both transformers intact kicking around the basement. I have an idea to try my first build of an amp using this chassis and transformers. However, where the Artist was hybrid, I have it in mind to build an all-tube amp based off the Bassman 5F6-A. I have two questions with regard to using these transformers in that circuit.

1)Will the PT have enough current in the B+ to power 3 12AX7s and 2 6L6s? I think the filament winding should be fine, but can't find specs for the transformer (EJ 175)

2) Using only 2 6L6s on the power side means using only the center tap of the secondaries on the OT (DJ35) in order to keep the impedances right--yes?

And I suppose there is a third general question: Is what I'm suggesting even possible/a good idea?

For reference, I intend to essentially clone the 5F6-A with just the following changes:
1) Solid state rectifier instead of tube
2) Only one input per channel instead of two

Thanks!
'78 Gibson S1--'91 Les Paul Special--'05 Firebird V--'82 SG Firebrand Deluxe--"Gibsonized" Epiphone Explorer --Nashville Special Telecaster

'78 Artist VT--'75 Artist--'76 Deuce--'75 Mace Head--'78 Mace VT--'76 Classic

Enzo

Re: Artist 240 Transformers w/ tube preamp

Post by Enzo » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:54 pm

That output is wound for 4 and 2 ohm outputs. If you use only one pair of 6L6, then it simply becomes 8 and 4 ohms.

Three 12AX7s is 0.9 amp current draw. I suspect the transformer can handle that.

It is a chassis with transformers, you can build whatever you want in it.

rogue777

Re: Artist 240 Transformers w/ tube preamp

Post by rogue777 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:36 pm

Ahh, A Peavey Artist 240. What a great amp. Those 4-6L6’s into one 4 ohm spk, that beast just roared, it’s a mean amp. I use to own one. Yes it’s a hybrid with the transistor preamp and Massive 6L6 pwr amp with 4 different input configurations.

A Fender 5F6A Bassman, I have to admit thats a classic amp. It would make a good project.

As Enzo mentioned, you can build anything you want. I just wanted to put in a good comment about the Peavey. If it was me, I might choose to restore the Artist 240, just like that amp I guess.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Edit, I just noticed you have a bunch of other amps. I thought the original A240 sounded better than any of the following Artist variations.
Have fun with your project!