Vypyr 75w NEED HELP

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
cbundavis

Vypyr 75w NEED HELP

Post by cbundavis » Thu May 21, 2020 8:21 pm

Usually when jam at home i use the aux and headphone connections to play so i don't bother my family with my noise, Anyways I thought that my headphone jack part became messed up due to a 5 year old pulling my headphone cable..
anyways During further investigation when i took it apart it appeared that 1 of the cables become unconnected. Does anyone know where i could buy a replacement for future reference?

On the board itself for the rest of the amp on the post gain knob on the inside there is a little row of 3 switches. the 1st and 3rd were in the down position and the middle was in the up position.
Does anyone have any idea what this would be?
I have researched and looked for over 3 hours and cannot find anything what-so-ever....
Music is the only thing keeping the planet together. ...(Jaco Pastorius)

JamesPaul

Re: Vypyr 75w NEED HELP

Post by JamesPaul » Fri May 22, 2020 3:43 pm

Welcome to the forum.

For the cable, first try calling Peavey Parts at (800) 752-7896 (toll free in the US) or 601-483-5365. Their business hours are 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Central Time, Monday-Friday. If they do not have the cable in stock, they may have a comparable replacement. If not, post a picture of the cable and connectors as "most" of the Vypyr parts are industry standard. Someone should be able to help you track one down.

Are the 3 switches labeled S12, S11 & S10? If so they identify which Vypyr model encoder board it is. There should also be an empty space for switch S13. The down, up, down actually indicates 0,1,0 which identifies the encoder board specifically as a Vypyr 75 encoder board.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

cbundavis

Post by cbundavis » Fri May 22, 2020 5:50 pm

Thanks man.
its not the cable that i thought was messed up but the aux-usb-headphone inputs. the headphones was starting to just go the right side only. but the upon inspection i noticed that the cable that plugs into the board was coming loose. I thought my daughter may have broken it when she started pulling on the headphone cable the other night when i was jamming.

and for those switches do they do anything special?

I only own the amp and the big pedal cause i traded a guitar i had laying around for it. I am more of a bassist than a guitarist...

And thanks so much for the information. I greatly Appreciate it.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Wed May 27, 2020 5:22 am

I do not know everything those switches do, but I think their primary purpose is to identify which model Vypyr the amp is. For example, the Cab/Voice Swaps (https://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php ... 325#p56394) are different for the different model (30W, 60W, 75W, 100W & 120W) Vypyrs. There are likely some different branches in the Vypyr DSP code depending on which model Vypyr it is. Probably things like boosting the bass frequencies on the lower powered models, functionality differences between the models, etc. These switches are an easy way for the Encoder Board to identify itself.

Good to see a bassist who also plays some guitar. I have an Epiphone Jack Casady which I love playing at; I just wish I was better on it.

Hopefully the information has helped.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

cbundavis

Post by cbundavis » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:47 pm

Thanks for the reply!
I tried to contact peavey but they never have e-mailed me back.. I guess it will have to be okay!

I have been playing bass since about 1999-2000. I wanted to start out playing guitar but my supposed-ed best friend said that it would be difficult for me and that i should try and get my dad to get me a bass and an amp cause him and his buddy didn't have anyone to play bass and i kind of just fell in love with bass. I used to hate like all these bands that my dad tried to turn me on to, then once i got into bass it was like Yes i like Rush, Zep, FLoyd and about a 1,000 other bands... the deal with my dad was He would buy me my first bass (Mexican fender Jazz) and give me 100 bucks to put down on an amp, and i worked 12-15 hours a week after school at pizza hut to pay for my Peavey TNT 115BW. i loved that amp and been hooked on bass every since.
i play through and ampeg/swr rig now with an Ibanez sr505 bass. which was also a present from my dad on my 20th b-day which was pretty cool it is worth a million dollars to me since my dad bought it, and he is no longer with us...
Now guitar wise, I have a nicer guitar than my basses! haha Which is 2013 PRS 408 wood library edition USA only model.
I have been thinking about selling the PRS and getting a warwick thumb. have wanted 1 of those for 10+years also would probably have enough cash left over to buy the new fender bassman that they have out. I had a bassman i ran through my swr goliath senior and it was a powerhouse but i sold that years ago like an idiot now i long for that again! hhaa
Attachments
PRS 408 wood library
PRS 408 wood library
IMG_20200430_202732_01.jpg (2.39 MiB) Viewed 35 times