XR800F Repair?

A general discussion forum to talk about all things Peavey and everything musical.
JasonF0815

XR800F Repair?

Post by JasonF0815 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:40 am

Hey everyone! Hope you're all well :D

I was given an amp/mixer unit (Peavey XR800F) to try and diagnose, having some experience in such things. The unit seems to blow when plugged in and powered on.
I cannot see any obvious signs of electrical damage, blown resistors, bloated capacitors, dodgy connections, etc. On the inside

I'm not 100% sure the fuse is the correct type? It states "TL4a 250V". But I can't seem to find an exact match.
I was given these 5A fuses they got specifically, they look like standard (UK) plug fuses, but they're quite narrow compared to the fuse holder?

Are there 'thicker' fuses or something more suitable that I'm missing?
I also assumed that TL would signify slow blow fuses, but I've heard mention of them being fast blow?

I'm expecting either a problem with the output transistor, or from within the power supply. But unsure where to start look or how to go about diagnosing.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you all!

Enzo

Re: XR800F Repair?

Post by Enzo » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:43 pm

Visible inspection is important, yes, but the vast majority of bad parts look no different. Think batteries. If one is all leaky and oozing, it is bad, but most dead batteries look the same as good ones.

Indeed, output transistors are most likely, so check them for shorts with a meter.

Where does "it state" that fuse type? What exactly is printed on the rear panel right by the fuse holder?

JasonF0815

Re: XR800F Repair?

Post by JasonF0815 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:56 pm

Yeah you're right of course!
Do you know how I could go about locating these transistors? I've found some schematics, but struggling to pinpoint them.

It states "TL4a 250V" right next to the fuse holder on the back panel.
I did try contacting Peavey via email to ask about the exact fuse and possibly its dimensions (if appropriate), but received conflicting answers.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.