New to the Forum

A general discussion forum to talk about all things Peavey and everything musical.
navybass

New to the Forum

Post by navybass » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:04 am

Hello everyone.

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is John. I've been playing Bass and guitar for 40 years. I am a long time Peavey user. My first Bass and amp were a T-40 and a Peavey Combo.

My current Peavey gear is;
G-Bass
Foundation S
Axcelerator Plus
Dyna Bass (1985)

I am currently troubleshooting a TNT S/BW amp. I hope to get it up and running again very soon.

Enzo

Re: New to the Forum

Post by Enzo » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:33 pm

Hi John

I have been an electronics tech all my life, and ran an authorized Peavey repair shop for three decades. (And many other major brands) Now retired. And in general I always found Peavey gear to be well made and sturdy. But mainly they are not difficult to service. There is no reason your TNT can't return to life.

navybass

Post by navybass » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:54 pm

I actually fixed the problem it was having. it would distort and sound compressed. What I found was the piece of foam they use as a dust shield in the magnet of the Black Widow actually started to deteriorate and came loose and wedged itself in the slot for the voice coil. I removed it and cleaned it all out put a filter on the outside of the screen in the magnet and tested it out. It now works and sounds great.

Now I need to find some MN3101 IC's. The one that was in the amp went missing when I took the chassis out to clean the pots. It fell out of the socket when I accidentally banged the chassis. I couldn't find it anywhere.

I was an Electronics tech in the US Navy for 20 years and have been repairing guitars, amps and effects for a while.

navybass

Post by navybass » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:02 pm

It's very nice to meet you Enzo.

navybass

Post by navybass » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:44 am

I'm an Electronics Tech myself. 20 years Navy Electronics Tech and many more before and after that. It's a pleasure to meet you Enzo.

I finally got the TNT working again. The problem was actually the speaker. The little foam filter in the magnet broke loose and wedged itself in the voice coil. I took it out, cleaned the voice coil, made a new filter and mounted it outside of the magnet and the amp sounds great now.

I do have a small problem. In the process of working on the amp, I banged the chassis and an IC Chip fell off the board and disappeared. It is the MN3101 in the chorus circuit. Anyone know where I can get one of those?

VSW

Post by VSW » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:01 pm

navybass wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:44 am

I do have a small problem. In the process of working on the amp, I banged the chassis and an IC Chip fell off the board and disappeared. It is the MN3101 in the chorus circuit. Anyone know where I can get one of those?
Have you even noticed that any time you drop a screw or a small part it disappears into another dimension before it even hits the floor, but every cigarette butt that anyone has ever thrown in your yard sticks out like a giant neon sign? :lol:

Congrats on getting your amp working.
Vaughan

dak

Post by dak » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:54 pm

VSW wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:01 pm
Have you even noticed that any time you drop a screw or a small part it disappears into another dimension before it even hits the floor, but every cigarette butt that anyone has ever thrown in your yard sticks out like a giant neon sign? :lol:
Years ago I lost a circlip from one of the motors (I think) while servicing a Leslie-style amp. Gravity kept the shaft in place so I finally made do without it. These days I opened that thing and the circlip was sticking to one of the inner walls (naturally I only ever searched on the bottoms). Hurray. Except that I wasn't able to find the shaft that it was missing from. Next time I have this thing at home, I'll probably disassemble the motor units and search for that shaft more thoroughly. Maddening.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:52 pm

My inventory shows two of them. What is it worth to you?

navybass

Post by navybass » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:44 am

It's crazy how things just travel interdimensionally when they are dropped. I still haven't found that chip, so I've just given up on it.

I don't know, prices seem to vary online for those chips.