a question about comb filtering

A general discussion forum to talk about all things Peavey and everything musical.
Mark Oliver

a question about comb filtering

Post by Mark Oliver » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:27 am

Assuming that steps have been taken to minimize the presence of comb filtering as well as lobe formation, I was wondering if there are opinions out there regarding any impact of the addition of reverb and delay effects on these sonic characteristics that might affect the quality and clarity of the audio end product in a live setting.

Bartman

Re: a question about comb filtering

Post by Bartman » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:06 am

If the room is highly reverberant (lots of solid flat walls/floor/ceiling) then adding reverb/delay usually makes it worse. Every room is different, so experiment to see what sounds good.

Mark Oliver

Post by Mark Oliver » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:47 pm

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your confirmation of my suspicion.
My question came from some qualitative and anecdotal assessments based on audience comments following shows. The venue possesses a reasonable RT 30 and RT 60 time of under 2 sec and some basic physical measurements with calculations and some elementary sonic measurements indicate that the room is not overly vibrant.
After many shows (78) in the same venue, it struck me that for performances augmented with noticeable amounts of vocal effects, audience response was less than enthusiastic with a common theme being linked to a reduced ability to hear diction and enunciation in the vocal work. Shows with no or minimal vocal effects added didn’t illicit the same response.
For clarity, this is a venue that has season tickets sales at 80 percent of capacity so the same people are at all the shows and that has held fairly constant year after year for 8 years pre-covid.
Also for clarity, the audience is mature with probably 90 percent over the age of 40.
I’m also not talking about these different experiences occurring between different styles of performances but for example will offer up four -person folk groups, one providing very dry vocals and another offering very processed or wet vocals, at a similar volume through the same house PA. mics etc., and with the same room configuration. Audience satisfaction levels were not the same in both instances.
So the summary is that minimal use of reverb and delay on vocals generates an enthusiastic response from the audience but when a sound person, usually coming in the with performer, insists on using a heavy hand on the effects, the audience response is consistently not positive.
This poses a challenge for the provider.

Bartman

Post by Bartman » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:24 am

Music style also is a consideration in using effects. As you mentioned, one was a folk band, and this style is best with little to no effects.