Peavey bass strings

A general discussion forum to talk about all things Peavey and everything musical.
Enosray

Peavey bass strings

Post by Enosray » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:14 pm

I've been using peavey thermal fused bass strings for at least ten years. Lately I've noticed a different look and feel to them. They also dropped in price by a third and I'm wondering what happened. I loved the strings I had before, but these new ones seem a lot cheaper made. Any one else notice this?

studiodtk5

Re: Peavey bass strings

Post by studiodtk5 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:06 am

I guess we all suspect what happened, but no one will admit. 99.995% certain Peavey doesn’t and never has manufactured strings. Strings have always been a custom manufactured offering for Peavey. Peavey contracts to a separate company to manufacture the strings. Peavey tells the company what type of strings they want manufactured; material, wind, ends, etc.

I suspect Peavey changed from the normal manufacturer to a different one, probably China based. If specifications for the manufacture of the strings were given, they were either loosened or not verified. So now you have sub-par Chinesium Peavey Bass strings.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

Foxbat_25

Post by Foxbat_25 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:25 am

Yeah, I always suspected something was wrong with Peavey strings... I've noticed differences between the (guitar) strings I used over the last couple years, but didn't think too much about it as it didn't really change the way I play (and in the beginning, I just thought I hadn't installed them the right way/changed something without noticing/introduce beginner ideas there)
I'd like to know though, which strings would you recommend, if I were to pay for actual high quality strings and not for the fancy name?

Dano0369

Post by Dano0369 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:09 pm

I think sometime in the near pat Peavey switched to DR. im pretty sure all peavey intruments ship now with DR tite- fit. Look at it as an upgrade. You can get a peavey cabinet with celestion's now!!!! :arrow:
Dano0369

Foxbat_25

Post by Foxbat_25 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:12 am

Thanks for the answer, I'll look into that then!