Gig Pics Sticky

A general discussion forum to talk about all things Peavey and everything musical.
Dookie

Re: Gig Pics Sticky

Post by Dookie » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:24 am

Wooferhound wrote:I provided a Sound and Lighting system plus a Stage for MeshFest at Big Spring Park here in Huntsville on Saturday. This is almost as big as I can get with the gear that I have available. The stage is 24x10 feet with a small extension in the back for the drummer. The sound system is 3000 watts with 4 monitors. Then there are 40 lights on audio chasers.
This coming Saturday at Three Caves I will try and use the new 12000 watt Sound system that I have been putting together over the last month.
Did you try your new system yet?
Dookie

Wooferhound

Post by Wooferhound » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:33 am

Saturday morning before my show I took my mixer and effects rack to my friends garage where the New Gear is located. I was checking everything for one last time before hauling it to the show that afternoon. But the DBX Drive Rack was having trouble with a Checksum Error and not remembering the User Settings. I would have been able to set it up correctly, but if there was a Power Glitch it would come back on with the original factory settings. I was afraid to use it for this large event so I took my regular system.
Pictures coming later today . . .
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----

Wooferhound

Post by Wooferhound » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:01 am

Saturday I provided a 3000 watt sound system with 4 monitor mixes for the 16th annual Moon Dance promoted by the Huntsville Land Trust at Three Caves on the side of Monty Sano mountain. Also used my minimal stage lighting too. It sounds so awesome down in that big pit with some reverb from the audio bouncing around in the caves. The band was great, they were from Muscle Shoals but I can't remember their name.
Attachments
There is not a parking lot, so the attendees park at a hospital half a mile away and are bused to the venue. then a hilly walk about 200 feet down into the old limestone mine.
There is not a parking lot, so the attendees park at a hospital half a mile away and are bused to the venue. then a hilly walk about 200 feet down into the old limestone mine.
MoonDance-1s.jpg (109.62 KiB) Viewed 19252 times
Waiting on the band
Waiting on the band
MoonDance-2s.jpg (114.99 KiB) Viewed 19252 times
Console about 75 feet from the Mains
Console about 75 feet from the Mains
MoonDance-3s.jpg (75.68 KiB) Viewed 19252 times
Boogie to the rhythm of the beat
Boogie to the rhythm of the beat
MoonDance-4s.jpg (78.8 KiB) Viewed 19252 times

BassJill

Post by BassJill » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:07 am

Very beautiful!

I guess the musician saying goes for you too:

A musician: someone who puts 5000$ worth of equipment into a 500$ car to drive 100 miles for a gig that pays 50$ :lol:

(by which I mean to compliment you for your passion, not reprimand you for your financial decisions or enterprise profitability :P )

Wooferhound

Post by Wooferhound » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:33 am

Thanks for the compliment

My business model is "Good sound gear for people with no money". My Peavey gear has been sounding So Fine over the last 6 weeks doing outdoor shows

I have been doing sound and lights for over 45 years and never learned to play a musical instrument

JoshM

Post by JoshM » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:10 am

This is from the ground breaking ceremony for the new Mississippi Arts & Entertainment Center that is being built in Meridian. The ceremony was on Saturday so we took a little setup out to make sure things sounded good.
Attachments
FoH setup
FoH setup
20151003_134326.jpg (4.56 MiB) Viewed 19213 times
8 Peavey Versarray 112 per side with 2 Versarray 218 per side
8 Peavey Versarray 112 per side with 2 Versarray 218 per side
20151003_113310.jpg (3.56 MiB) Viewed 19213 times
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Burnt Orange Studios

Wooferhound

Post by Wooferhound » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:46 am

Did sound here in Huntsville at Straight To Ale Brewery to do a Reggae show with the band Kush. We dragged out all the Old School gear from the 70's and it sounded great. The band was playing awesomely and the beer was wonderful. the sound using this old gear was really very excellent.
Using a Peavey Mark III console from 1979. It's not completely old, all the IC chips were replaced in 2003. Also using a 27 band EQ from the 70's which also had it's chips changed in 2003
Using a Peavey Mark III console from 1979. It's not completely old, all the IC chips were replaced in 2003. Also using a 27 band EQ from the 70's which also had it's chips changed in 2003
ReggaeSound-1s.jpg (88.42 KiB) Viewed 19200 times
This is the promoter and the DJ Matt Sutterer still using vinyl
This is the promoter and the DJ Matt Sutterer still using vinyl
ReggaeSound-2s.jpg (93.74 KiB) Viewed 19200 times
Reggae Band called Kush. Using the modern IPR amps but I don't have anything else.
Reggae Band called Kush. Using the modern IPR amps but I don't have anything else.
ReggaeSound-3s.jpg (73.26 KiB) Viewed 19200 times
That's enough beer for me, what are y'all gonna have ?
That's enough beer for me, what are y'all gonna have ?
ReggaeSound-4s.jpg (75.53 KiB) Viewed 19200 times
These FH2 cabinets really performed well. They have been repaired, rebuilt and repainted on many occasions. They are big and hard to move around but they put out lots of bass with a small amount of amplifier power. Don't use them often but they always impress me. These have been modified with Speakon Connectors.
These FH2 cabinets really performed well. They have been repaired, rebuilt and repainted on many occasions. They are big and hard to move around but they put out lots of bass with a small amount of amplifier power. Don't use them often but they always impress me. These have been modified with Speakon Connectors.
ReggaeSound-5s.jpg (71.15 KiB) Viewed 19200 times

Wooferhound

Post by Wooferhound » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:37 pm

Sunday I provided a 1000w sound system and a 24x10 stage for the "Bark and BOOs" event in Big Spring Park. This was a fundraiser for Cancer Research. It was a Halloween party for dogs. We had a heavy sprinkle at one point but otherwise it was great weather. I got to pet a lot of dogs that day. I can relate because I was a dog once.
Nice backdrop with the trees changing color
Nice backdrop with the trees changing color
Boos-1s.jpg (115.59 KiB) Viewed 19031 times
This is a picture of the most important thing you need with a portable sound system . . . the 2 wheeled hand truck
This is a picture of the most important thing you need with a portable sound system . . . the 2 wheeled hand truck
Boos-2s.jpg (151.8 KiB) Viewed 19031 times
Incredibly too much fun
Incredibly too much fun
Boos-3s.jpg (109.54 KiB) Viewed 19031 times
Girls and dogs
Girls and dogs
Boos-4s.jpg (84.05 KiB) Viewed 19031 times
The best picture that I've taken in a long time
The best picture that I've taken in a long time
Boos-5s.jpg (95.68 KiB) Viewed 19031 times

JoshM

Post by JoshM » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:27 pm

Eddie Izzard came to Meridian, MS. Peavey provided a nice VR 112 system for the event. I set it up Sunday night for the show on Monday.
Attachments
Here you can kind of see how the whole array is leaning back and the bottom cabinets are tilted to cover the front rows.
Here you can kind of see how the whole array is leaning back and the bottom cabinets are tilted to cover the front rows.
20151206_224722.jpg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 18920 times
Rear view
Rear view
20151206_224806.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 18920 times
That is twelve VR 112 cabinets per side plus a pair of VR 218's.
That is twelve VR 112 cabinets per side plus a pair of VR 218's.
20151207_174636.jpg (2.25 MiB) Viewed 18920 times
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Burnt Orange Studios

Mark Oliver

Post by Mark Oliver » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:38 pm

I'll bet that array in the preceding post sounds great.

Here are a couple of pictures of my little system from some recent shows. Impulse 1015''s over EU 218's with EU 112M monitors and an extra Yamaha monitor for the keys. Power is from 4 IPR 3000's DSP versions.
Attachments
stage at Lunch At Allen's 1.jpg
stage at Lunch At Allen's 1.jpg (117.36 KiB) Viewed 18848 times
Sweet Alibi 1.jpg
Sweet Alibi 1.jpg (85.92 KiB) Viewed 18848 times
Jack de Keyzer-2.jpg
Jack de Keyzer-2.jpg (647.1 KiB) Viewed 18848 times

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Mark Oliver wrote:I'll bet that array in the preceding post sounds great.

Here are a couple of pictures of my little system from some recent shows. Impulse 1015''s over EU 218's with EU 112M monitors and an extra Yamaha monitor for the keys. Power is from 4 IPR 3000's DSP versions.
Nice looking rig Mark. Like the clean,modern looking EU monitors. Now get some cheep runner rug at any carpet store to hide those wires on the floor! ;-). How well do the EU sub's and Impluse work together? With that high stage I would have center clustered the sub's. 8)

Doug

Mark Oliver

Post by Mark Oliver » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:48 pm

Doug,

I cannot believe I never went and got some "runner" for those wires.

I have played with and tested the centre cluster option and it reduces the power alley but it is a trade off for ease of setup and sight lines. That stage is 16 inches high. Most of my shows are not overly loud so this works.

I know lots of folks poo-poo composite cabinets but the Impulse 1015's do a nice job for me and as an older guy doing shows alone, they are a good solution. The high end seems to need a little boost which shows up when I measure the room (nearly always the same venue for me) in the parametric adjustments as shown in the attached image.That being said, I am interested in the RBN products when and if they surface.

The EU subs I like for the same reason. I can handle them and they can handle the kinds of shows I do. I always use the IPR DSP presents and run a filter at 45 hz and apply a filter to every channel on the mixing board.

I have had quite a few well accomplished acts come through my little venue and they have been more than satisfied, often offering to serve as references for me as I try and draw in other performers who may be reluctant to come to a small, rural venue.

Is this the ultimate set up. Well I think I would like to try some more esoteric products but I'm not sure it would make much of a difference to the audience. I am not attracted to some of the popular 3 letter named products regardless of their popularity.

I have also attached a measurement curve for the EU monitors. Performers love them. Enough said.

Thanks for your comments by the way.

Mark
Attachments
EU112M freqcurve.JPG
EU112M freqcurve.JPG (38.93 KiB) Viewed 18820 times
eu218 and Impulse 1015.jpg
eu218 and Impulse 1015.jpg (115.28 KiB) Viewed 18820 times

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:03 pm

Mark Oliver wrote:Doug,

I cannot believe I never went and got some "runner" for those wires.

I have played with and tested the centre cluster option and it reduces the power alley but it is a trade off for ease of setup and sight lines. That stage is 16 inches high. Most of my shows are not overly loud so this works.

I know lots of folks poo-poo composite cabinets but the Impulse 1015's do a nice job for me and as an older guy doing shows alone, they are a good solution. The high end seems to need a little boost which shows up when I measure the room (nearly always the same venue for me) in the parametric adjustments as shown in the attached image.That being said, I am interested in the RBN products when and if they surface.

The EU subs I like for the same reason. I can handle them and they can handle the kinds of shows I do. I always use the IPR DSP presents and run a filter at 45 hz and apply a filter to every channel on the mixing board.

I have had quite a few well accomplished acts come through my little venue and they have been more than satisfied, often offering to serve as references for me as I try and draw in other performers who may be reluctant to come to a small, rural venue.

Is this the ultimate set up. Well I think I would like to try some more esoteric products but I'm not sure it would make much of a difference to the audience. I am not attracted to some of the popular 3 letter named products regardless of their popularity.

I have also attached a measurement curve for the EU monitors. Performers love them. Enough said.

Thanks for your comments by the way.

Mark
The measurements look about like what I get for my "Sp2X" speakers I have. I'll have to dig and see if I can find a Smaart Measurement of them but a dip at / around 2k and 5k seems normal for the 22 driver in most boxes I've looked at although maybe not that much. I also seem to get a peak around 13k or so but it doesn't show up here. http://www.manualslib.com/manual/121317 ... e=2#manual Having gone through sp2, sp2a , sp2ti , sp2xt , sp2g and sp2x I've got a few miles on the 22 driver. Where do you place the measurement microphone in relation to the speaker?

I do know the Sp2X speakers I use have an EQ switch in back that drops the 1.5 to 6 k or so range in one of its settings. I'll have to look but I believe your 1015's do as well. Any chance this is turned on or maybe the switch is bad? I'd measure them with the switch on/off and see if there is a difference. If they don't have that switch then disregard :oops: as I had an old guy brain fart. The 1015 is a great speaker and is loaded with solid components. I'd be happy to use a rig like this in any club I may go through.

Keep the pictures coming!

Doug

Mark Oliver

Post by Mark Oliver » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:54 am

Doug

The Impulses do indeed have that "normal - EQ" switch on the back. I was under the impression that the EQ position was for use when you were bi-amping the box using an external crossover and external CD horn equalization. Perhaps I need to revisit that notion as I am surprised at my output levels in the higher freq ranges

I know that prior to using the DSP amps, I used to get a strong peak around 1.6khz but that seems to have disappeared with the built in preset.

I take my measurements at multiple locations and aim for the best average sound. I usually start about 5 feet out on axis then move to about 40 degrees off axis then repeat at about 10- 15 feet out and again at about 40-45 feet out using both on and off axis readings. I always find a power alley but most of the shows I am presenting are not overly heavy with bass so it is what it is.

Cheers
Mark

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:10 pm

Found the manual. Page 2 shows the response both normal and eq on. Eq on looks like your speakers response before adding your eq curve.
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/121378 ... e=2#manual

Doug