Delta Blues 115 (power transformer)

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
gregojames

Delta Blues 115 (power transformer)

Post by gregojames » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:46 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum and am looking for any advice I can get.

I have a Delta Blues 115, and was playing a show with it when it quit making sound - immediately followed by a "burning" smell. I thought I had killed it for sure (not knowing much about amps at the time) and so it sat dormant for a while. Recently I decided to see if it could live again. The first 4 of 7 tubes were not lit so I replaced those with Sovtek EL84s - they still did not light. I opened the unit and took a voltage meter to the fuses inside (i may not have done this right, but they showed voltage). So with the research that I have done I have come to the conclusion that it is the transformer. I have been searching online for some information of where I can order a replacement transformer for the Delta Blues 115, as well as what is the part number - but have come up with nothing. :|

Does anyone have a site suggestion that could help me in my search?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks! :D

Enzo

Re: Delta Blues 115 (power transformer)

Post by Enzo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:57 pm

I sincerely doubt it is the transformer. Look inside and there is one fuse that is probably ceramic instead of glass. REMOVE it from the clip and measure the fuse with your ohm meter. I bet it is open.

You can replace it with a glass fuse, just make sure to use the same rating. I forget, I think it is either 8 amp or 10 amp. Regular fast blow type.

gregojames

Post by gregojames » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:01 pm

I did not know you had to remove them to test them. Thanks, I will try that first thing in the morning.

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:08 am

Multiple Fuses.......

Believe Enzo mentioned in earlier post one on side and three on board.

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

gregojames

Post by gregojames » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:07 pm

ok, replaced ALL 3 fuses and still got no glow on the first 4 tubes...anything else I could troubleshoot on the circuit board?

65 SG

Post by 65 SG » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:26 pm

Look at R71 and R72 (they are a pair of large resistors next to each other). These are in series with the filament supply to the EL84s. See if one or both are discolored or burned. If so, one is probably open.

If something fried but you can't see anything obvious, use your nose. Smell around the board and transformers (be careful not to get zapped). Sounds funny - but can often narrow down the problem

gregojames

Post by gregojames » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:56 pm

I opened the amp up again after I had tried to get themto light with the new fuses and I did notice a lil black spot on the speaker connection which prompted me to look closer at the resistors. Sure enough one side of one of them has a huge burn mark on it (http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww67 ... 1268013134). That would probably explain the smell when it quit working. So I guess I will be calling a tech in the morning.

Thanks for everyones input and I will let you know how it turns out!

guitarman99

Post by guitarman99 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:06 am

On this transformer be aware of the thermal fuse inside the transformer. if the power transformer tests "open" on the primary, suspect the thermal fuse. Take out the transformer,separate the brass belt where it is soldered together with a small screwdriver and hammer.This will come apart easily.Then lift off the plastic end cap on the side where the wires come out. Between the blue and black primary wires, locate the thermal fuse. It will be under the first couple of wraps of tape. Snip out the thermal fuse and replace it with a new one. Or bypass with wire..... Now the primary will have continuity.

This thermal fuse can go out without any of the three fuses in the amp blowing If R66 blows then a no bias condition leads to tube overheating if the amp is played at high volume under these conditions the thermal fuse inside the transformer can overheat an blow out.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:35 pm

Hi 99, welcome to the forum.

He did say he had voltage in the circuit, so we think his primary is OK.

DMillerIII

Post by DMillerIII » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:01 am

I lost power as well and had the same burning smell. Right now my primary on the power transformer shows open circuit (voltmeter, ohm setting). I took it out and removed brass cover and plastic covers. While I didn't initially see a thermal fuse I will look a little closer tonight.

In the meantime I called Peavey parts for a replacement, PN 3055000......back-order until October!! Any other ideas? I've googled around on internet, no luck so far. Amplified Parts has hundreds of power transformers......all for Fender or Marshall it seems. Maybe I'll buy a Fender :).

Thanks,

Dave

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:17 pm

Thermal fuses are buried in the windings. Look inside where the winding wires are connected to the insulated wires to go outside. See the copper wining wire going on inside the windings. Now see if there is a couple shiny silver color wires also going inside, if so they would be the leads of the thermal fuse tucked down inside.

When looking for parts, Delta Blues is same as Classic 30.

Does yours look like this inside?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-oqsHIR4Uk